Weber SmokeFire - anyone get it yet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kstone113

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 24, 2019
I'm a Rec Tec guy but Weber is a great company! I used a Genesis for over 10 years until I realized how great smoking is and ZERO regrets on my Rec Tec Bull but either way, still curious how people's experiences are with the grill. It was 'supposedly' released 3 days ago. I would assume that means people get them on that day but perhaps not.

I have seen a couple of new owner reviews on another forum but it is still a bit too early to get good feedback.

I am particularly looking forward to some independent testing and reviews that aren't tainted by the "pride of ownership" or other factors. A particular area of interest for me is the grease build up with the flavorizer bar layout the grill has. It looks much like a Weber gas grill from that perspective.

Reactions: kstone113
I have seen a couple of new owner reviews on another forum but it is still a bit too early to get good feedback.

I am particularly looking forward to some independent testing and reviews that aren't tainted by the "pride of ownership" or other factors. A particular area of interest for me is the grease build up with the flavorizer bar layout the grill has. It looks much like a Weber gas grill from that perspective.
That's one of my concerns(not that I'm buying one)....how will the grill/smoker handle after a long brisket or pulled pork cook with tons of grease....how would that work if then I want to cook steaks on high after that. With a normal grease tray, you clean or re-foil....

A disposable roasting pan under the grate will solve the low and slow Butt or Brisket Grease problem...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
A disposable roasting pan under the grate will solve the low and slow Butt or Brisket Grease problem...JJ
This is what I do in my Yoder YS640S ... I bought a large oil drip pan from Napa Auto Parts. I line it with foil, and use it as a rip pan. There is no mess in my smoker ....
I have a decent pellet grill and yes, I use foil, disposable pans, and baking sheets. However it still needs cleaning from time to time, particularly if I use it to sear a rib roast.

When I saw the videos that originated from Weber's media release in November, I noticed the new grill seemed to use their well known concept of Weber flavorizer bars. Naturally their promo event showcased searing steaks and the like, therefore my interest in how you clean it up. Here's a screenshot from a video of their event showing a sear in action. So I am looking forward to some credible reviews that talk to the issue of grease and cleaning.

Capture.JPG

flavorizer=marketing gimmick.

Not sure why you think it's a gimmick. I've had several gas grills, but the Weber flavorizor design has been the best at reducing flareups and easiest to keep clean.

For what they are, Webers gassers are probably overpriced. But they do cook well.

Last edited:
That's one of my concerns(not that I'm buying one)....how will the grill/smoker handle after a long brisket or pulled pork cook with tons of grease....how would that work if then I want to cook steaks on high after that. With a normal grease tray, you clean or re-foil....

I've been speaking with someone on another forum who has been cooking on his for about a week. He's thinking that it should be fine to go to high temp after a long low and slow, but only time will tell. He's planning on doing the first long cook --a brisket-- this weekend. It looks like cleanup is easy, with grease and ash falling into the catch pan. You should not need to use a foil pan under the grates.

I asked him about smoke profile and he feels it has more smoke flavor than any of his other pellet grills (he's had several). I think one possible reason is that the smoke can more easily surround the food, since it's not restricted by a drip pan that covers most of the area and only lets smoke up around the edges.

He said that the app sucks, but hopefully that will be resolved in future updates.

The other thing to consider is that the lowest temp on it is 200F. I only uses lower temps on my Memphis to get more smoke flavor, but that might not be necessary for this grill. But if you want to smoke sausage or do jerky, 200F is probably too high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steff3
Assembled my EX4yesterday. All parts were there and Undamaged. Lid has no twist compared to Treager lids. Very sturdy. Initial burn went well. Pairing to WiFi worked. Will be doing bone in pork loin and some skirt steak tonight. Will post.

I am seeing many reviews on reddit about this grill. Many are not very good. Some have had fires and others having temp issues.

I got mine Thursday and returned it today. There is a fatal flaw in the design of the hopper, there is not enough slope to it so the pellets do not feed into the auger correctly which causes huge temperature swings. Here is a picture from my fireboard that I had in the grill and one of what it did when it was set at 225 and quit feeding pellets from a full hopper.
Screenshot_20200215-163411_FireBoard.jpg
20200215_154510.jpg

Reactions: sandyut
Not sure why you think it's a gimmick. I've had several gas grills, but the Weber flavorizor design has been the best at reducing flareups and easiest to keep clean.

For what they are, Webers gassers are probably overpriced. But they do cook well.
for flare ups they do work well, but flavoring the food? the flavorizer name is a gimmick IMO

I never thought to look on reddit...thanks!

Yeah, appears some users are definitely having issues. My fear of the grease dripping down definitely seems to be an issue with some as pellets have gone off to the side of the firebox and caught fire from grease....

I wouldn’t buy one or even take one if it was given to me for free... Weber is a great company and there past history proves that... but there issues with the SmokeFire Pellet Grill are self caused by there lack of true quality control and research & development for a pellet grill that costs $1300.00 plus dollars. I could see something like this happening with a low end, cheap, foreign made pellet grill company, but not from a company with the name and history of Weber. I just read a posting of a guy who just received a call from the shipping company this morning, that his SmokeFire Pellet Grill has just arrived at the station for delivery. He told them he couldn’t take it and to return it back to Weber... and also told them the reason why... The shipping company said that they understood. There was a lot of first time and potential first time pellet grill buyers waiting for Weber to release their pellet grill. Now many may never buy or consider buying a pellet grill again. Smh... This will not only effect Weber, but could also effect the pellet grill brand as a whole. I hope Weber can address the many design issues correctly and make things right. Time will tell.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: kstone113
This just confirms, unless you have the money to risk, it's a good idea to wait to purchase until any new technology or system is thoroughly tested and proven reliable...JJ

Weber did a masterful job of their "release/media day" back in November when by invitation, a group of YouTuber's and forum masters attended the event in advance of Weber's actual market release. The feedback from the invitees created enormous interest in the BBQ enthusiast community and likely had a nice impact on Weber's initial orders.

It will be interesting to watch all this unfold and see some in depth reviews now that the grills are getting into the hands of the public.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky