Weber kettle question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mofatguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 31, 2019
Missouri
Ok. My mom’s old 22” Weber kettle without the basket underneath has bit the dust. She bought a new 22” with the basket underneath to catch the ash. Fired it up to burn off oils yesterday. She cooked chicken legs and thighs today. Filled the bottom with good hot coals of kingsford charcoal and cooked as usual. Usually you have to be careful it doesn’t burn. This thing barely got hot enough to cook. Too and bottom vents wide open the whole time.
is this normal with this Weber?

Sounds strange too me. There is more than enough air flounder through and over the charcoal and charcoal grates that you should be at a good cooking temp in 10 or 12 minutes. That would include adding another load of charcoal on top the the already burning coals. Try lump charcoal next.

No, that's not normal. It should cook no different than the old kettle. Something is up with the charcoal.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Ok. My mom’s old 22” Weber kettle without the basket underneath has bit the dust. She bought a new 22” with the basket underneath to catch the ash. Fired it up to burn off oils yesterday. She cooked chicken legs and thighs today. Filled the bottom with good hot coals of kingsford charcoal and cooked as usual. Usually you have to be careful it doesn’t burn. This thing barely got hot enough to cook. Too and bottom vents wide open the whole time.
is this normal with this Weber?
We're you using Royal Oak briquettes?

Yeah what charcoal? And how much? Top and bottom vents open all the way EO the a full basket of charcoal should be 450ish. Are you sure the bottom bent was open? Like you could see the blades on the bottom were not closed at all? I ask because when I got mine with the new basket that was the hardest to learn haha. Looking at the little picture by the vent adjuster confused me

My Eyes are getting Old. I read both lines 3 times and didn't see a problem!☺...JJ

Kingsford charcoal and unless there is another vent the bottom blade vent was not covering the slots.
I’ll tell her to get a new bag of charcoal and try that

If your charcoal picks up any moisture its pretty much useless.

The bottom blades over the vents are kinda confusing. The full open for me is just on the 3rd basket hole from the left. I know it shows all the way to the right but its not that great. Watch some YT vids on proper bottom blade adjustments.

Get some good charcoal, BnB, Weber (brand) or KS Pro.
Get (if you dont already have one) A KF charcoal chimney.

Can’t explain it other than bad charcoal, as the others have said. Both my Webers will hit 400 + with the vents open all the way.
Al

Happy you figured it out , now please tell us how the kettle " bit the dust "
Never seen that happen under normal use and care .
I'm just wondering .

after no telling how many years the scraper I’m the bottom had rusted out. Couldn’t shut it down by closing the bottom vents. Pits were starting to form on the kettle itself as well. She probably had this one at least 15 years or more.Weber kettles last forever

Reactions: chopsaw
the scraper I’m the bottom had rusted out.
Fair enough .
Another problem people run into with the one touch clean out , is junk builds up in the bottom and bends the blades up . They no longer seal and close off air flow .

Fair enough .
Another problem people run into with the one touch clean out , is junk builds up in the bottom and bends the blades up . They no longer seal and close off air flow .
On your 26" do your blades fit as well to the bowl as they do on the 22"? I can still close mine and choke the fire out and save the charcoal but the blades definitely don't hold as tight to the bowl as they did on the 22" I had

On your 26" do your blades fit as well to the bowl as they do on the 22"?
Yes . Did you assemble yours ?
I've had mine from new . When I assembled the blades I gave them a " slight " bend down , or outward . Then when in place and tightened the pivot bolt , It drew them against the bottom of the bowl .
I only use my 26 for smoking . I always clean it completely the day after I use it .
Keeps them from bending up .
Another thing I did was visually look at the position of the blades and mark the trailing edge on the outside of the ash catcher , compared to where it is over the slot . Marks are closed ( that's a given ) 1/4 open at the big end , 1/2 open at the big end and completely opened at the small end .
I've had much better luck controlling temps that way .
20210306_111636.jpg

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Yes . Did you assemble yours ?
I've had mine from new . When I assembled the blades I gave them a " slight " bend down , or outward . Then when in place and tightened the pivot bolt , It drew them against the bottom of the bowl .
I only use my 26 for smoking . I always clean it completely the day after I use it .
Keeps them from bending up .
Another thing I did was visually look at the position of the blades and mark the trailing edge on the outside of the ash catcher , compared to where it is over the slot . Marks are closed ( that's a given ) 1/4 open at the big end , 1/2 open at the big end and completely opened at the small end .
I've had much better luck controlling temps that way .
View attachment 500669
Yea I put it together. I noticed when I put it together that they didn't seem as tight. I should've bent them down some then. Thanks for the insight on the temps!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky