Weber kettle mountain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hinds90

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Been loving my master built 560 but finally completed a WSM setup I've been wanting to do for a while partly because I wanted a stacker for my 26 but couldn't find one and the one I did find shipping was crazy. I saw this setup on facebook a few years ago and had to try it. NOTHING beats the flavor you get from hanging ribs.
20200321_191747.jpg
20200321_191513.jpg
20200321_214255.jpg

That looks really interesting. I never considered that ribs would be any better if they were hung as opposed to laying flat on a grill. How about a rib rack where the ribs are standing on the side? Do you think that would be similar or do feel like it needs to be hung directly over the flame?

G

I think hanging right over the coals would provide the best flavor but theoretically as long as the drippings are hitting the lit coals you should get the same flavor profile.

Also another benefit of hanging is the ribs are done much sooner. Both ribs were a little over 3lbs and were done in 3 hours at a average temp of 265-275

Been loving my master built 560 but finally completed a WSM setup I've been wanting to do for a while partly because I wanted a stacker for my 26 but couldn't find one and the one I did find shipping was crazy. I saw this setup on facebook a few years ago and had to try it. NOTHING beats the flavor you get from hanging ribs.
View attachment 437524View attachment 437525View attachment 437526
Never seen a set up like that. Ends results is what matters. Those ribs look awesome! Great job!

Reactions: hinds90
Yep. I didn't cut the kettle specifically to hang ribs. I wanted a stacker for the 26 but got tired of waiting on smoke ez and the other option would be to much in shipping. So decided to go this route. Plus every since I saw this setup on facebook a few years ago I wanted to do it.

Not that I needed the space but if you wanted to you could hang how ever many ribs fit put the 26 grate on and cook whatever you want on top of that. 2 briskets or a few butts. Although I haven't tried it yet I'm sure it can still grill like a regular kettle. Just take the door off and you get all the air you need.

Last edited:
That looks really interesting. I never considered that ribs would be any better if they were hung as opposed to laying flat on a grill. How about a rib rack where the ribs are standing on the side? Do you think that would be similar or do feel like it needs to be hung directly over the flame?

G

I haven't figured it out yet, but it's been my experience that hanging ribs are better. Makes no damn sense, but they just do. I have a vertical offset, not a WSM or UDS.

Reactions: hinds90
Yep. The aroma when hanging ribs makes it worth it! Plus the cook time is way shorter.

Did a brisket last weekend and some wings yesterday. Both turned out great.
20200404_214538.jpg
20200404_214506.jpg
20200328_211145.jpg
20200330_172556.jpg

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Did 2 chuckies over the weekend and they turned out great. Used heavenly made Texas brisket rub with a bit of amazin blazin rub mixed in.
20200419_210904.jpg
20200418_204751.jpg
20200418_144744.jpg

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky