Water Glassing Fresh Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Amazing the things that have almost been lost along the way. I stepped on a nail one time and my Gram ran out and rubbed lard on the nail, it didn't get infected. And I was the real winner when I got a double yolk egg. Great to learn about the old ways.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I graduated high school in what is now the home of the pioneer woman, Pawhuska. I had free range hunting rights on all 400 thousand plus acres of the Drummond ranch long before she ever came along and commercialized the area. The place is a tourist trap now.

commervialized

So, question, when you want to use an egg can you just draw one out of the jar? Or will this contaminate the jar? Say you went in with a pair of tongs? Or do you have to drain and use the whole jar?

Corey

So, question, when you want to use an egg can you just draw one out of the jar? Or will this contaminate the jar? Say you went in with a pair of tongs? Or do you have to drain and use the whole jar?

Corey
Wear a glove as the lime solution can dry out your skin. Remember they use lime in concrete.

Dont drain the liquid.

When you remove an egg you must wash it off before using it for cooking/baking.

Reactions: indaswamp
Last night.

Clean food grade 5g bucket with lid.

Clean (unwashed) fresh eggs. I ended up doing 5dz.
20220913_175438.jpg

5qts filtered water with 5oz lime.
cover and put in basement store room. Lets try one in about 3 months.
20220913_185014.jpg

Wear a glove as the lime solution can dry out your skin. Remember they use lime in concrete.

Dont drain the liquid.

When you remove an egg you must wash it off before using it for cooking/baking.
How would you describe the taste of the egg when you use it after? We have 6 chickens and absolutely love the difference in these eggs. However, this might be great to fill the gap when they stop laying to molt.

I've been reading about this lately. Just haven't done any yet. Will follow to see how this turns out for others. Right now we keep over flow of eggs in garage frig. Unwashed they are good for 4 months.

Hitchhiking along on this thread, but finally got some eggs water glassed. 18 eggs will fit in a half gallon Mason jar. Getting the fresh eggs was the easy part, biggest problem I had was finding the pickling lime, but I did find Mrs. Wages at a small local grocer...

20221025_144634[1].jpg

It's coming up on a year so how are the eggs doing? Inquiring minds want to know
We have used probably 10 of the 25 or so we water glassed last year over the last month or so. Our birds slowed down production in the week of 100 degree heat. I eat three eggs every morning for breakfast and to be honest, I didn't realize my wife had substituted them. It has been such a success we are now water glassing eggs to use as Christmas presents.
Rousing success

It's coming up on a year so how are the eggs doing? Inquiring minds want to know
The eggs are still in the solution. When I hit the year mark I will try some.

Yup

My chickens have slowed down from 30 eggs to 10-13 being its hot out.

That's neat. I don't have chickens but a friend of mine does. I'll try and talk her out of enough to try this

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky