Water Glassing Fresh Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Ok

Going to give it a shot.

I have plenty of fresh laid eggs. Using the cleaner ones for this.
20220907_163437.jpg

Measured out 3oz of the lime for the gallon jar. Got 3 qt of water ready.
20220907_163951.jpg

20220907_164415.jpg

3 dz eggs fit in just right. The larger end of the eggs righted itself up (cool)
Gallon jar took right at the 3qts water/lime solution.

Now lets see how they are this winter. (Yes i did date the lid)
20220907_165651.jpg

Nice. It’s smart to work them is small batches. You will be happy. They will lose some quality, but they will bake well and scramble well.

I am watching this. We are in the same boat. Don't use as many eggs as we get

This is interesting and I've also never heard of this, thank you Rick for posting. I get a lot of fresh eggs from a friend and I'm going to try this, too. In my poking around about it, one question I can't find an answer to. Can fresh eggs that have been refrigerated be used in this process? If so, should they be brought back to room temp first?

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing Rick. Will pass this on...I'd never heard of it before either.

Ryan

This is interesting and I've also never heard of this, thank you Rick for posting. I get a lot of fresh eggs from a friend and I'm going to try this, too. In my poking around about it, one question I can't find an answer to. Can fresh eggs that have been refrigerated be used in this process? If so, should they be brought back to room temp first?
No

Once you put a fresh laid egg in the fridge you cant water glass them.

The hen puts a protective mucus coating on every egg that seals the pores of the eggs, once any type of moisture is on the egg the mucus is removed. When you bring a refrigerated egg to room temp you will notice the egg has moisture on it.

Fresh eggs cant be washed before you water glass.

Here is a read on it.

Very cool; thanks for posting.

My Grandma described a process where they'd put eggs into a layer in a small barrel and then pore gelatin over them, once it hardened, they'd add another layer and repeat until the barrel was full. This was pre-refrigeration of course, and she said they could store eggs all winter this way.

My Grandma described a process where they'd put eggs into a layer in a small barrel and then pore gelatin over them, once it hardened, they'd add another layer and repeat until the barrel was full. This was pre-refrigeration of course, and she said they could store eggs all winter this way.
very interesting!!

My dad growing up in Oklahoma said his mom (when they got meat) would sink the meat into a barrel of lard, kept the air and bugs off.

The things we dont do now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky