Watching the Brisket climb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Prime trimmed to 13# salt & pepper only and went on the MAK set to 275º at 6am. About an hour ago I lowered it to 250º as it was making too much head way. Currently IT is 176º, was going to wrap but don't want to speed this up any faster.

IMG_2219.JPG
Screenshot 2019-09-01 11.24.29.png

Bit concerned on how fast this thing is climbing. It's now at 180º.

yeah that's kind of odd to see an IT climb that fast for that cooking temp. Looks like you're getting a nice bark?

Seems about right to me. Prime briskets do seem to cook faster. Last one I did about the same trimmed weight took 5.5 hours at 285.

Prime briskets have more fat. Yes, they can cook faster, but it is tough to avoid a fat seam. From the position above, you may be in the fat seam between the point and the deckle. Try moving your probe from a vertical insert to one inserted from the end into the flat. If the temp remains the same, no problem, but don't be surprised if you see a 20F drop.

Reactions: chopsaw
Map is from the MAK. Checked in multiple areas including the side. It was generally in the 176-180 range vs MAK probe at 180. At 2:10pm it's reading 200º and probes tender about everywhere with the exception within 1-2" from the end. Think it's time to pull and rest on counter for 10 min before going into cooler.

Rested on counter until IT had dropped to 187º in order to stop further cooking. Now in cooler with towels. Dinner around 5pm.

Nice thread . Doing my first brisket tomorrow. I'll be watching for a sliced pic . Trying to decide when to start it .

This one was PRIME, and took approx 8 hours (38 min/lb) smoking at 275º for the first 4 hours then at 250º forward. When I do CHOICE, the time increases to approx 45 min/lb. I've had some of those go a bit more.

So that makes sense. I haven't cooked but a couple of prime briskets. 90% of the ones I cook are choice. I agree that's good info, why we hang out around here :emoji_wink:

So, the end results: Flavor 10, moisture 8, tenderness 9. Being my first PRIME, I now know that the first tenderness test at 196º was telling me it was time to pull. I've had a tendency in the past to pull too early so I waited another 40 minutes and that was IMO too much. Plenty of moisture in the point, as always but the flat was just starting to suffer a tad as some slices started to break up. This PRIME smoke got done in just over 8 hours but that included the extra 40 min which I shouldn't have done. So it was finished in 7.25 hrs. Again, this is 4 hrs at 275º and the remaining time at 250º.

Regardless the taste was great and nobody went away hungry.
I would grade today's effort an A-, maybe B+. And as I always do, full notes of the smoke were taken.

IMG_2222 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: texomakid
Looks prefect to me. Love the Bark. I got a 15# whole packer in the Yoder now locked in at 240 deg since 10:30 pm last night. It's not prime but choice ($2.89/lbs) and it's stalled out big time (as expected) but it will push through it. Very nice brisket. I will cook another prime as some point and your notes will be borrowed :emoji_sunglasses:

Remember, every piece of meat can be different so take them as 'guidelines' :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky