Watch out for the app on the MES 40 bluetooth.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

novasbc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Austin, TX
Watch out for the app.

Thought it was great, just set it up to season my early Christmas gift at 275 degrees per the instructions.

Noticed the app was showing the temperature in the smoker as 310 degrees....

Walked outside, noticed the glass had gone yellow and it was smoking pretty good.  Checked the set temperature on the panel, and it was set to 800 something degrees.  I tried setting it back down, but it was acting like it got the range messed up, would get in the 700s and then jump back up into the 800s.

I turned it off, and back on, and it's back into the right range.

Watch out for the app.

Thought it was great, just set it up to season my early Christmas gift at 275 degrees per the instructions.

Noticed the app was showing the temperature in the smoker as 310 degrees....

Walked outside, noticed the glass had gone yellow and it was smoking pretty good.  Checked the set temperature on the panel, and it was set to 800 something degrees.  I tried setting it back down, but it was acting like it got the range messed up, would get in the 700s and then jump back up into the 800s.

I turned it off, and back on, and it's back into the right range.
Did you try another Therm in it---I doubt it was over 350° in real life.

A couple other guys got that 800° reading, but I believe it was a controller read-out mistake.

Bear

Did you try another Therm in it---I doubt it was over 350° in real life.

A couple other guys got that 800° reading, but I believe it was a controller read-out mistake.

Bear

I wasn't saying that it got up to 800, but that is what it thought it needed to go. It was at 310 according to its internal sensors (both of them), and my own separate sensor.

I have since discovered that it does this every time I connect with Bluetooth, not just if I try to set the temperature.

I wasn't saying that it got up to 800, but that is what it thought it needed to go. It was at 310 according to its internal sensors (both of them), and my own separate sensor.

I have since discovered that it does this every time I connect with Bluetooth, not just if I try to set the temperature.
Great !!

If I'm not mistaken this gives you an opportunity, because the same thing happened to a couple other guys.

And if I'm not mistaken they called Masterbuilt, and told them about it, and I believe Masterbuilt sent them the parts needed to switch from Bluetooth to RF, and an RF Remote control.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to give you a hard time---Just trying to help you with the information you supply.

Bear

Bear

Great !!

If I'm not mistaken this gives you an opportunity, because the same thing happened to a couple other guys.

And if I'm not mistaken they called Masterbuilt, and told them about it, and I believe Masterbuilt sent them the parts needed to switch from Bluetooth to RF, and an RF Remote control.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to give you a hard time---Just trying to help you with the information you supply.

Bear

Bear
That's good to know.  I'll give them a call.  It would have been ideal to keep it bluetooth, but on my searches, I see I'm not the only one with issues.

I had read that the range of the RF transmitter/receiver was relatively short, with bluetooth, I seem to be able to go all around the house without disconnecting.

I'll report back what MasterBuilt has to say.

By the way, I didn't take it as you giving me a hard time, I completely understand.  I realize I was somewhat terse with my original post.  I just wanted to give people the heads up that it can get to the point where it wants to go out of the max range (270 degrees).

I feel they have some serious bugs with at least their Android app.  Not sure if it's just the app, or something in the controller in the smoker.

If the unit got hot enough, I could see it damaging the control board.

By the way, I didn't take it as you giving me a hard time, I completely understand.  I realize I was somewhat terse with my original post.  I just wanted to give people the heads up that it can get to the point where it wants to go out of the max range (270 degrees).

I feel they have some serious bugs with at least their Android app.  Not sure if it's just the app, or something in the controller in the smoker.

If the unit got hot enough, I could see it damaging the control board.
That's good.

I never use my Bluetooth. I just use the controls on the console, because I don't have anything to use it with.

I wish I could get the RF for mine, but I'm not going to lie to them, by telling them my Bluetooth doesn't work. so I just keep using the console.

Actually I think if it goes up over 350° for any amount of time, it could hurt the Insulation.

Yes Report back what they said or did. That would be Great !

Bear

Last edited:
Similar happened to me the other day, I don't think my phone ever lost connection but it seemed after an hour had passed and I looked at the temp on my phone it was saying 310 degrees.  Already reading about problems with the BT I went out to the smoker and the temp setting was reading 899.

I never set the temp with my phone, just was monitoring.  To correct as others have stated, went out to the smoker turned it off and then back on to reset the temp.

I think the BT app is a unique feature, and can become a plus to this smoker, but I think Masterbuilt needs to work out the bugs and update the app to prevent this from happening.  

Obviously the element is heating up hotter than it's supposed to if you believe the temp readings form the phone and the smoker, could lead to something disastrous or at minimum a bad cook on some meat.

I think I've used the app once or twice but never relied on it. I bought the newest BT model mostly for the redesign on the inside of the smoker though. 

Got my 1st smoker this spring 30" bluetooth, have experienced the 899 spike three times, twice this evening, does it only occur when connected through the bluetooth or do i have control panel issues?

Got my 1st smoker this spring 30" bluetooth, have experienced the 899 spike three times, twice this evening, does it only occur when connected through the bluetooth or do i have control panel issues?

All I can say is it never happened to me, and I never used my Bluetooth Remote because I don't have anything to use it with. I have it for 3 years.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky