Washington Group New Members Introduction Spot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Chris !!!! 1 welcome.jpg .....

I'm Dave and I'm in Omak....

Hey all, name's Andrey, I'm a union carpenter in the Vancouver/Portland area. I've been here pretty much all my life, happily married now with an 8 month old daughter. I started smoking meat last year, tried ribs and brisket, both turned out pretty well. I own a 22.5" Weber Kettle grill which works pretty well but I'm thinking of getting an offset smoker soon. I'm also trying to build myself a large smoker from a 250-500 gallon propane tank.

Welcome, Andrey! You'll find lots of ideas and know-how here.
If I could have only one grill/smoker, it would be the Weber kettle. IMO, it's the most versatile smoking tool out there.

Welcome, Andrey! You'll find lots of ideas and know-how here.
If I could have only one grill/smoker, it would be the Weber kettle. IMO, it's the most versatile smoking tool out there.
Yeah I love it! I also built a version of the Slow 'n' Sear for it for indirect cooking and it works great! The reason I want an offset smoker is that I don't have to open the cooking chamber too often.

Hello, Mike here from Montesano. New to the forum. I'm looking to add an Argentinian Grill and a stone smoker to the patio (see below) I built last year. Any tips for NW smokers?

Mike
IMG_0675.jpg

Hi Mike - welcome! I'd suggest that before you start building your smoker, that you think about the type of smoking you want to do with it (i.e. hot/cold, or both). That might inform the eventual design you choose. I have built 3 different versions of your basic cinder block smoker, and as long as you don't use mortar, it's pretty easy to tear down and start over. You can't go wrong....

I don't have plans to do any cold smoking. For me it will be your basics, ribs/brisket/pork belly/corn etc.... So you make it with the cinder blocks, but without mortar? Do you use firebrick in the firebox, or in the smoker portion?

Mike

I didn't worry about firebricks, since I built mine mainly for cold smoking - at first. I think cinder blocks work great by themselves for the types of temps I usually smoke at (i.e. low and slow). If you look at the images on that page, you can see how it works. I went up 6 levels of blocks, and offset 2 tiers so I could easily drop in grates or hang from the top as needed. You should head over to the Smoker Builds forum and look through those posts - lots of great ideas and info!

Aaron

Oly, Welcome...

HEY !!!! Very nice, old world design smoker.... No temperature controller required... Some folks think you are nuts.. I think it's perfect..... I love old world techniques and practices... and especially, the products they produce....

Dave

Hi! This is Julio from Mukilteo Wa. Originally from Virginia but have been living in the GPNW for the last 20 years. Just found this site while looking for tips on smoking. Looks like a great place so decided to join in. Thanks!!

Hello, from Everett, Washington! My name is Craig and I work for the big airplane company.
I served in the Air Force from 1983 to 1992 and after discharging from the military working a variety of dead-end jobs in retail management and sales. I finally landed on my feet in 2008 getting a job at the "big airplane company" as an aerospace electrician.
I have been barbecuing for most of my adult life, but really got into it several years ago by getting my first pellet smoker (Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone) and I also have a Weber Kettle Grill for indirect heat smoking on charcoal and wood.
I love making my own rubs, barbecue sauces, and the best side dishes possible. I've been trying to perfect my barbecue baked beans for about two years, but they're just not where I want them!
I am also a website designer and owner (forgive the shameless plug!).
Anyways, I love this community and hope to learn more and share whatever I can contribute to this group. Look forward to interacting with all of you.

Reactions: shoebe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky