Was my chicken undercooked?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have smoked several chickens, including the beer butt chicken and the spatchcock chicken. I have brined some, injected some. Cooked at different temps, from 250* to 350*. In my opinion, I find the brine changes the texture of the meat. I have brined chicken from as little as an hour to as long as 4 hrs and I just don't care for the way it comes out. The last chicken I smoked was spatchcocked and I injected, rubbed w/EVOO and seasoned it. I smoked it at 300* until the breast hit 170*. The meat was tender, juicy & flavorful. No more brining for me.
My experience with brining poultry has been the same. It takes on a hammy texture which I don't care for, regardless of brine time. Injected is ok, along with a buttermilk marinade.

Here's some I did in my big smoker, a chicken and a turkey:

ef60a9ab_012.jpg

The chicken:

e5524796_020.jpg

cut up:

f737c268_028.jpg

The turkey:

1d1ed32b_001.jpg

20375398_002.jpg

cut up:

fba72d10_003.jpg

You can see the juices running out of the turkey before I even took a knife to it... smoking a bird makes it retain it's juices and it's absolutely amazing how juicy and flavorful they are!  These were also brined in a salt - sugar - nitrite brine, pickling them like a ham, too, giving that all-through pink color just like a ham.  Both were true delicasies and delicious!  I did them to 160° - 165° which was more than enough.

Reactions: sandybug
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky