Warm water bath finishing fibrous non edible casings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Can it be done? Seems like it would work. Got some salami and kielbasa loaf going since about 8:00 this morning and can't be up all night. After smoke was applied I've been bumping smoker temp up 10 degrees every hour. At 160 now. Meat is only at 110 IT.

I was thinking I could make the warm water bath on my stovetop like I usually do with sausage but use hotel pans instead of pots because of the length of the sausage.

Thanks all for the help in advance!

-Chris

You can but if the meat is still raw in the middle and it cooks too fast it will not have the same bind in the middle and may look grainy. If you can get the center IT to 130-140 ish then poach you should be fine 

Thanks guys! The meat is up to 132 IT and I have to be up at 5:45 tomorrow so I am warming the water right now on the stove. By the time I get the water where I want it it should be about 132-133. I realized my mistake in that I should have followed some of your posts joe and started them in the smoker running at 130. I started between 100 and 110 and incrementally raised it once I cut off the smoke. Learn from my mistakes for next time.

Well for some reason... My water did not get over 160 but I think the first two chubs fatted out. There seems to be fat in the water bath. After plunging them in ice water and getting them below 90 degrees I saw congealed fat in the ice water bath. I had to cut one of each kind. Doesn't have the smooth sleek look I imagined but then again I usually slice open sausage that has been refridgerated for a day or two. It tasted great but when I peeled back some of he casing it looked like it had congealed fat around the outside of the meat. Again. Super tasty but probably won't look too appealing but if not pleasant to eat on its own I guess it could be used in tons of dishes which cal for salami or kielbasa. The other two look fine (one of each) and they are cooking in the bath. I'll wait a day or so and deliver the final verdict haha

having a little fat congealing inside the casing is common... It still good.........
icon14.gif

having a little fat congealing inside the casing is common... It still good.........Thumbs Up

Thanks so much for all the help and reassurance throughout this process. Tried a piece this morning and it was delicious. I'll post a few pics in this thread when I get back from work so I can get your expert opinion

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky