Wanting to start smoking....

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by toofastgtp, Mar 4, 2016.

1. toofastgtp

toofastgtp Newbie

Been a lurker for a little over a year, and finally wanting to jump in to making some great Q.

For now i been using a a hand me down SS 7 burner grill with a $10 smoke box i got from lows. 

Charcoal or electric?

I really cant decide if i want to go charcoal or electric. I really dont want to tend to the a fire but I want the flavor, and the crust I get when i go to a local Q place. 

From what I have read the smoking right is really there just for looks and not flavor?

I live in Tulsa where we can have some crazy temp swings from 115 degrees to 0 and sometime sub zero in the winter. I would like to be able to smoke year round.

I have been looking at the MES30 and have read to stay away from the Gen II due to the temp issues. How do I tell if i am getting a GEN II or the new 2.5? I have been 

looking at the one at lowes for $250 ( i have a 10% off coupon). I have also been looking at a $70 bullet shaped smoker, but from what i am gather i would be much happier 

with the MES.

I really just want a no hassle no fuss set it and forget it. Or would i be better off just getting another smoke box and using my current grill?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. drewed

drewed Meat Mopper

If you want no hassle and no fuss then go electric.  Do NOT look at the the $70 smoker.  IT is nothing but hassle and fuss.  If you want a charcoal smoker look at the WSM.  But It sounds like you will be happier with the outdoor oven ( MES.)  

Smoke is all about flavor.  Rubs and sauces are masks for a bad smoke job.

3. hank2000

hank2000 Smoking Fanatic

For what's it worth I have two MES a 30 and 40 and a pellet grill love all of them get just as good a food in the MES as I do the pellet grill I do have to use a smoke genarater with MES. I have a masterbuilt company or smoke kit and the amazen tube and tray. The gen 2 MES has the controller on the front and the vent on the left side not on top. The gen the 2.5 is Bluetooth good smoker friends m what I can tell mine are gen1 hope this helps

4. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome from SC. It's good to have you on this great site.

5. toofastgtp

toofastgtp Newbie

The one at lowes the controller is on the front and the vent is on the top. So i take it it is the 2.5?

6. hank2000

hank2000 Smoking Fanatic

That's what it sounds like

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Welcome to SMF!

I think you would be happy with either the MES or WSM

Both are very popular smokers. You may get a little better flavor with the WSM, simply because you are burning charcoal & wood together. But the MES puts out some great Q. My first smoker was a MES 40.

Al

8. A great starter smoker is the char griller akorn kamado style, I bought mine 2 years ago and it is the best smoker I have ever used, got it from lowes 299.00 and had 20% coupon. I started with the bullet style charcoal but the cost of charcoal was killing me on long cooks, so I switched to an electric was ok but smoke was not as intense (which my wife liked). Then I stepped up to the acorn and man what a difference, using lump charcoal, able to hold temp from 200 -500 , I think the money I saved by using lump has paid for the acorn, a 10# bags gives me 6-7 cooks. There are several mods you can do to really tighten it up but so far I have not had to do them. I did just start using a device that sits on top call Tip Top Temp, and really does a great job of auto adjusting the air flow to maintain temps.
    I just finished cooking a brisket and 10# butt and all I had to do was occasionally add water, I did switch to a large water pan and that also helped with steady temps.
    I still use the electric but mostly for jerky or chicken if I don't have enough room on akorn.