Wait, Oak is a Filler in Pellets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rockymtnsmoker, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Every once in a while when I see a thread about which brand of pellets to choose, there's some discussion about oak as a "filler" wood in some brands.  I'm always surprised to see this because I really like the flavor from smoking with oak chunks and when I use pellets, I look specifically for a blend with oak in them (like Lumberjack Oak-Hickory-Cherry.)

I like what I like, so I'm not really looking to change what I use.  But I'm really interested in opinions on oak in pellets, and specifically why I get the sense people think it's a filler.  Is it just the fact that some brands market a fruitwood pellet as such but it actually contains something else?  Is oak cheaper?  Why the oak hate? 

2. ammaturesmoker

ammaturesmoker Smoking Fanatic

Personally oak is my favorite....there are some that like straight fruit wood. The combo works for me.

3. smokesontuesday

smokesontuesday Smoking Fanatic

It's not a matter of hatred of oak. Lots of us (probably all of us) have used oak to smoke, or eaten something smoked with oak, and been happy with the result. It is the "false advertising" aspect that people have an issue with.

Oak does tend to be cheaper, at least in chunk or split form. A bag of Cherry chunks around here runs about $8. A bag of Oak is usually $4.

There's nothing wrong with oak at all for smoking as long as you know that's what you're getting.

4. ammaturesmoker

ammaturesmoker Smoking Fanatic

Agreed.....would like to see straight pecan pellets though

5. Lumberjack has a 100% pecan pellet if you want to try it and can find it.  It's on Amazon as well, but I don't know how good that price is compared to what you'd get in a store.

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If you are looking for 100% pecan pellets, apple pellets, cherry pellet, etc. then you need to look no further than Amaze-N-Smokers.

Todd only sells 100% pellets, unless they are a blend and specified as such.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/21.htm

7. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

8. wade

wade Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I use Lumberjack Pecan pellets. They are 100% Pecan

9. uzikaduzi

uzikaduzi Meat Mopper

i hate how oak and alder are used as fillers in cheaper pellets, but try to buy either when they are 100% of the content and they shoot up to the quality pellet prices

10. wade

wade Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The strange thing is that pure Oak pellets can be more expensive that other blended pellets that include Oak from the same supplier.