Wagyu Ugly Steak--Wow!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
I came across a small butcher shop at a farmer's market in Wenatchee, WA this weekend, and picked up this:
20181014_174741.jpg

It's called "Ugly Steak" for some weird reason, but they were Wagyu steaks cut from near the tri-tip, the sign said. I have never seen Wagyu for that price before. One steak was about a pound, the other 3/4. Take a look at that marbling!
20181014_175143.jpg

I took them home and decided to do a reverse sear, setting the alarm on my thermometer for 110°. Just some coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper for seasoning.
20181014_184313.jpg

I have seen videos of people trying to grill Wagyu before, and it seems to quickly blacken and look nasty from all the fat running off over the direct heat. So I tried one of those silicone grill mats for the first time, that my dad had given to me recently. This pic was the thicker piece that needed a little more time. But I have to admit, the mat did a good job. It was still seared perfectly on the outside when it was done, and no flame up to torch my house.
20181014_192116.jpg

Paired with some fresh sauteed green beans, roasted rainbow carrots, and a nice Washington cabernet.
20181014_193259.jpg

20181014_193310.jpg

The carryover brought it to a nice medium finish, though slightly more cooked than I was aiming for. The pic makes it look medium-well,but the color was more pink than it shows.
20181014_193405.jpg

The verdict?
Fan-freaking-tastic! ALL beef should taste like this! The crust was perfectly done, while the inside was amazingly moist, buttery, and tender. My (Weight Watchers) wife and I both stopped about halfway thru, thinking we were done and would save the rest. But then we got a second wind and finished them, just because they were too good to stop.
I don't think I have ever had a better steak anywhere; at home or at a restaurant. So I am probably ruined for "normal" beef now. :(

Last edited:
Man those look awesome, I haven't had a good steak in a while.

Hey, those steaks are way cheaper than going out to dinner and like you said
"I don't think I have ever had a better steak anywhere; at home or at a restaurant."
I'd be stoked to find that cut of beef down here in CA. Those look amazing, I'd eat it at least every other week if I could find it.
Nice find, and great job.

I want to be ruined. Where are those deals around here.

Great looking steaks. Nice Job.
Point for sure
Chris

Nothing better than wagyu beef. I can't believe you got it for that price. Better not eat it too often or they're going to have to roto-rooter your arteries.

That looks so good , been on clear liquids and jello ( again ) test at 2:00 , I opened the wrong thread LOL .
Nice find and great meal .

Gosh I wish we could get beef like that around here!
Those steaks look fantastic!
Al
Yeah, Wenatchee is a small town in eastern WA, and it's kind of like the Land That Time Forgot. Doesn't look like it's changed much since 1975. I was there for my aunt's 90th birthday, and she's in better shape than me, at 57.
Any Wagyu in the Seattle area would probably start at $35 lb, if you could even find it. And that would be something like a little chuck steak.

Morning Mike.... Good find, great looking meal .....

Dave
Dave, you're close enough that you could just drop down and get some. It's in the Pybus Farmers Market in the middle of town, near the river.

Last edited:
and 2 years later Mike is still selling this ugly steak in Wenatachee, had some for the first time last wekeend, OMG... makes my filet's taste like shoe leather lol

and 2 years later Mike is still selling this ugly steak in Wenatachee, had some for the first time last wekeend, OMG... makes my filet's taste like shoe leather lol
Dang. Every time I call over there, they don't have the Wagyu in stock. It's worth a trip over the mountains for me.

Dang. Every time I call over there, they don't have the Wagyu in stock. It's worth a trip over the mountains for me.
Guess I'll have to swing in and check them out again. I live just outside of Wenatchee. I havent been in to Mikes in awhile with them having a "beef shortage" surcharge and then a "covid" surcharge on top of that. If the price is still under $20/lb its worth a look though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky