Wagyu Short Rib on SmokeFire EX4 - Should I do a liquid/braise step?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

splendorlex

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Lake Geneva, WI
Hey all--

I was shopping for a pork butt for Mother's Day, and I saw my store had some Wagyu Short Ribs. I decided to pick them up and give them a shot. Now I have cooked beef short ribs, but only once. My intention is to hit em with my Kosmos SPG, throw em on my SmokeFire at 250 and see what happens. What's your favorite technique for short ribs? I do have some pans and beef broth available, so I was wondering if maybe I seal them in a pan with the broth once they get to the stall area around 160 or so. Or since they're Wagyu should I just keep it simple and roll with them until they hit 203-205 or so?
PXL_20220509_004331015.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Your plan sounds like a good one to me. You don't need to braise them, but I would start spritzing after about 2 or 3 hours.

Considering how good they look, I would probably grill them for galbi (Korean BBQ) instead of smoking. Butterfly them and roll them out into a long thin strip, marinate in Korean marinade, grill for 2-3 minutes per side. Here is a video (cook starts after 1:20 minutes) and recipe is in video description.

Reactions: fxsales1959
I’d recommend going purist and straight on the smoker at 250-275 with a strong wood. I’m respectfully of the complete opposite opinion of Edmonds. I think you have such an amazing and beautiful piece of meat there that simple S&P or SPOG rub and simple naked smoke is by far the best. Doing anything to cover that amazing beef with marinades seems like a sin!!!! You have Wagyu!!!! Let the meat shine!

I would steer clear of braising or wrapping, you don’t want to turn it into a pot roast. Straight naked smoke till the end! You're probably looking at about an 8 hour cook give or take. Probe for tenderness as you would a brisket or chuck roast and serve when tender throughout.

Can’t wait to see how it goes!

I’m respectfully of the complete opposite opinion of Edmonds. I think you have such an amazing and beautiful piece of meat there that simple S&P or SPOG rub and simple naked smoke is by far the best. Doing anything to cover that amazing beef with marinades seems like a sin!!!! You have Wagyu!!!! Let the meat shine!
I'm gonna have to agree with that. You're right, only SP is all you need. I'ld still do a grill instead of a smoke though.

Reactions: bauchjw
So here's something odd - these guys have only been on about an hour and I'm already getting temps over 180 on them. Does Wagyu just smoke a lot faster? This temp comes not just from the weber probe, but I also temped them with my thermapen, which I find very reliable. Here's how they look now!
PXL_20220509_145431692.jpg

Hey all--

I was shopping for a pork butt for Mother's Day, and I saw my store had some Wagyu Short Ribs. I decided to pick them up and give them a shot. Now I have cooked beef short ribs, but only once. My intention is to hit em with my Kosmos SPG, throw em on my SmokeFire at 250 and see what happens. What's your favorite technique for short ribs? I do have some pans and beef broth available, so I was wondering if maybe I seal them in a pan with the broth once they get to the stall area around 160 or so. Or since they're Wagyu should I just keep it simple and roll with them until they hit 203-205 or so?View attachment 631414
I have to try me somer of those. Not Wagyu tho' $$$$$
I just did a batch of plates and I'd like to se the outcome.

Sorry, forgot a final pic, but they looked exactly like the last one - they only took about 3 1/2 hours to cook in total. It made for a great lunch!

Sorry about that! In my head you had some Dino’s while I was typing. snd I didn’t double check before hitting send. I curious though, did you taste a difference between these and the others you did?

Sorry about that! In my head you had some Dino’s while I was typing. snd I didn’t double check before hitting send. I curious though, did you taste a difference between these and the others you did?
These short ribs were better than any I had before - but not all the way through. What I mean is there were a few bites/sections that were possibly the best short rib I've had, but it wasn't that good consistently. But given my history with short ribs, I don't find that unusual. These cost me 22 bucks for the 3 short ribs (really 2 good ones and one really thin one) but I wouldn't mind paying that again.

I’m 100% in the simple rub on these, no wrap and a neutral spritz. Far to great a quality meat to hide the flavor. I would personally go SPOG and when the salt slurry formed I’d dust lightly with espresso powder. You will get a beautiful bark and the coffee just adds a hint of earthiness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky