• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Wagyu beef

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 21, 2012
Smoked up a piece of wagyu beef. I'd ordered tri-tip (regular) and the butcher, who is also a client, upgraded us for some of the freebies we've done for them. I've called it a tri-trip but not exactly. Gotta remember to ask butcher exact cut

Anyhooo, as it was close to 3lb, put in MES for 2 hours and pulled out and put on charcoal grill on indirect supposedly for an hour. Finally pulled at 151F. As I have another, I'll start earlier on next one

It had been seasoned up with a brisket rub

Attachments

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looks good, gotta love the upgrade.

TunaciousBBQ28

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 10, 2021
Good looking piece of meat. I really like Tri Tip and a WAGU must be amazing. It looks really good.
My wife and I were in Reno and stayed at Peppermill. We eat at the steak House and they had wagu filet on the menu. American wagu was $75 and Japanese wagu was $200. We tried the American and it was the most tender cut I have ever had.
I can only imagine how tender your cut was.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Dang that looks good!
Love that marbling!
Al

schlotz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Interesting fact about the labeling of Amer. Wagyu. In many places they sell/prepare Wagyu that is not close to being from purebred or fullblood cattle. I do not believe there are any entities regulating the labeling of wagyu. So a 50/50 cross breed with angus stock (F1) can be sold as wagyu. American wagyu cattle can be anywhere from 50% to 100% based upon lineage. Don't get me wrong the 50% variety does taste very good but compared to purebreds (F4) or Fullbloods (F5) you can tell the difference. Additionally, there is a difference depending on how the cattle were feed during the finishing stage before going to slaughter. If you are in the market to purchase, do some research regarding the ranch supplier, what their stock actually is and how they are fed out in the later stages.

1626884906955.png

TunaciousBBQ28

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 10, 2021
Interesting fact about the labeling of Amer. Wagyu. In many places they sell/prepare Wagyu that is not close to being from purebred or fullblood cattle. I do not believe there are any entities regulating the labeling of wagyu. So a 50/50 cross breed with angus stock (F1) can be sold as wagyu. American wagyu cattle can be anywhere from 50% to 100% based upon lineage. Don't get me wrong the 50% variety does taste very good but compared to purebreds (F4) or Fullbloods (F5) you can tell the difference. Additionally, there is a difference depending on how the cattle were feed during the finishing stage before going to slaughter. If you are in the market to purchase, do some research regarding the ranch supplier, what their stock actually is and how they are fed out in the later stages.

View attachment 504965
Thank you for describing the differences between American and Japanese wagu. I thought the difference was in feeding and how the cattle are raised.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.