Wagyu beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Smoked up a piece of wagyu beef. I'd ordered tri-tip (regular) and the butcher, who is also a client, upgraded us for some of the freebies we've done for them. I've called it a tri-trip but not exactly. Gotta remember to ask butcher exact cut

Anyhooo, as it was close to 3lb, put in MES for 2 hours and pulled out and put on charcoal grill on indirect supposedly for an hour. Finally pulled at 151F. As I have another, I'll start earlier on next one

It had been seasoned up with a brisket rub

Attachments

• 20210718_160344.jpg
    20210718_160344.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210718_161134.jpg
    20210718_161134.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210718_161140.jpg
    20210718_161140.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210718_190049.jpg
    20210718_190049.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210718_190711.jpg
    20210718_190711.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 90
Good looking piece of meat. I really like Tri Tip and a WAGU must be amazing. It looks really good.
My wife and I were in Reno and stayed at Peppermill. We eat at the steak House and they had wagu filet on the menu. American wagu was $75 and Japanese wagu was $200. We tried the American and it was the most tender cut I have ever had.
I can only imagine how tender your cut was.

Interesting fact about the labeling of Amer. Wagyu. In many places they sell/prepare Wagyu that is not close to being from purebred or fullblood cattle. I do not believe there are any entities regulating the labeling of wagyu. So a 50/50 cross breed with angus stock (F1) can be sold as wagyu. American wagyu cattle can be anywhere from 50% to 100% based upon lineage. Don't get me wrong the 50% variety does taste very good but compared to purebreds (F4) or Fullbloods (F5) you can tell the difference. Additionally, there is a difference depending on how the cattle were feed during the finishing stage before going to slaughter. If you are in the market to purchase, do some research regarding the ranch supplier, what their stock actually is and how they are fed out in the later stages.

1626884906955.png

Interesting fact about the labeling of Amer. Wagyu. In many places they sell/prepare Wagyu that is not close to being from purebred or fullblood cattle. I do not believe there are any entities regulating the labeling of wagyu. So a 50/50 cross breed with angus stock (F1) can be sold as wagyu. American wagyu cattle can be anywhere from 50% to 100% based upon lineage. Don't get me wrong the 50% variety does taste very good but compared to purebreds (F4) or Fullbloods (F5) you can tell the difference. Additionally, there is a difference depending on how the cattle were feed during the finishing stage before going to slaughter. If you are in the market to purchase, do some research regarding the ranch supplier, what their stock actually is and how they are fed out in the later stages.

View attachment 504965
Thank you for describing the differences between American and Japanese wagu. I thought the difference was in feeding and how the cattle are raised.

Reactions: JLeonard
When you get a chance to have A-5 Waygu you will know the difference. I was very lucky to have a neighbor who owns a specialty meat market & he gave me an A-5 steak. Nothing like it.
Al

Reactions: jcam222
When you get a chance to have A-5 Waygu you will know the difference. I was very lucky to have a neighbor who owns a specialty meat market & he gave me an A-5 steak. Nothing like it.
Al
I have a whole A4 flat iron steak in the freezer. It's close to 5 lbs. Saving it for a special occasion.

5# Flat Iron, wow! That's pretty special for wagyu which tend to be a smaller breed. Let me know when it's dinner time, Jeff! :emoji_wink:

Like Nodak21 said, it looks kinda like picanha to me too.
I'm not a big fan of Wagyu; it's usually a little too fatty for my tastes. And a little too rich for my wallet.
But the cooked slices look pretty good.

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky