Vortex vs knock offs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I ordered an original vortex last weekend and it arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to doing. some wings this weekend

I have had the original vortex from Owens BBQ for several years now. It's getting a bit rusty, but still working fine. I think an all S/S unit would be the best option. But as I said mine is still working just like the day I bought it, it just has some rust on it. But it is a wing making machine!!!!!
Al

• Love
Reactions: mossymo
Long time friends with the manufacturer of the original Vortex, have been using a Vortex since it became a retail product, and been a distributor of the Vortex since November of 2014. Have never used or seen a knock off in person to compare. But I can tell you the original Vortex is constructed of heavy gauge, quality American made stainless steel that hand rolled and welded in the USA.

There are 5 or 6 knock off manufactures located overseas(that I am aware of) with sub retail business’s having United States address’s dodging patent courts selling metal shaped cones on Amazon. The material used in the manufacturing of these from what I hear is of lesser gauge and quality, and some are held together with rivets instead of welds. Other issues we encounter is complaints of the sizing of the knock offs differ from the original Vortex which creates function issues of how it may or may not fit under the grate of the grill you intended it for.

We do include a large shaker of our Buffalo Wing seasoning and hope you get to experience my wife’s speedy shipping and top notch customer service she is known for!

If you do have a Facebook account come join a group of over 10,000 members that are enjoying sharing the methods of cooking with a Vortex!
www.facebook.com/groups/VortexBBQ

BuffaloWingVortexTatonkaDustTake3Cropped.jpg

So, here's the backstory of my purchase. I bought the cheap knockoff because I really wasn't convinced the Vortex was a Kettle gadget I'd use. I've got a bin of unused gadgets in my backyard and didn't want to add another.

I've used my Weber charcoal baskets on almost all my Kettle cooks and didn't see how the Vortex device could actually improve on their performance. Wow, I was wrong. Now my baskets are sitting relatively unused and the knockoff is getting used constantly. When it fails, I'll buy the original.

I got mine on Amazon. The thing is awesome on my kettle. I love making chicken with it. One thing to think about though is how hot it is that can be brutal on your grates. I’m going to get the gourmet grill grates so I can take out the center and keep it from melting the grate.
G

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky