Vortex vs knock offs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Same here. I have an off brand which I received for Christmas. I’ve used it four times already including today as a heat shield for my Boston butt. Can’t say enough good things. Just amazing. For less than $20 you just can’t go wrong if you have a kettle type grill.
G

Reactions: phatbac
Not sure. I have the Vortex brand. Love it. Have used it over 40 times and no complaints. Use it to do pizzas on my kettle to set charcoal up and it gets 950*+ and never affects it. I learned a long time ago, buy once cry once. Not saying a knock off isn’t as good but I didn’t want to find out if it wasn’t

• Love
Reactions: mossymo
Not sure. I have the Vortex brand. Love it. Have used it over 40 times and no complaints. Use it to do pizzas on my kettle to set charcoal up and it gets 950*+ and never affects it. I learned a long time ago, buy once cry once. Not saying a knock off isn’t as good but I didn’t want to find out if it wasn’t
When I hit 40 cooks next month I’ll check back in with my feedback. So far I am all smiles. Whatever name was stamped on the tag burned off on the first cook. Workmanship looks above average on my cone of deliciousness. The person that created this thing should win the Nobel prize.
G

Reactions: phatbac
When I hit 40 cooks next month I’ll check back in with my feedback. So far I am all smiles. Whatever name was stamped on the tag burned off on the first cook. Workmanship looks above average on my cone of deliciousness. The person that created this thing should win the Nobel prize.
G
Good I’m glad it’s held up for you. I mean in reality it’s just some sheet metal cut and put together. I wish they made a mini one for my little Webber.

Any body have an idea were I can pick up a vortex or buy one on line? thanks
Got mine on Amazon. Looked up the Vortex, then checked out the knockoffs shown. Bought a knockoff, then handed it to my wife when it arrived and said, "You got me this for Christmas."

I've used mine small side up and down so far. Chicken thighs, searing steaks, and under a paella pan to carmelize onions. Wings are probably on the menu tonight because my wife is traveling and she doesn't care for wings. WAAAAY better than the charcoal baskets.

Got mine on Amazon. Looked up the Vortex, then checked out the knockoffs shown. Bought a knockoff, then handed it to my wife when it arrived and said, "You got me this for Christmas."

I've used mine small side up and down so far. Chicken thighs, searing steaks, and under a paella pan to carmelize onions. Wings are probably on the menu tonight because my wife is traveling and she doesn't care for wings. WAAAAY better than the charcoal baskets.
do you remember which one you got? I was debating the dracarys. I'm currently debating just firing up the WSM for a chuck roast adn wings or doing the WMS for the chuck roast and the wings on the WSM with a vortex.

do you remember which one you got? I was debating the dracarys. I'm currently debating just firing up the WSM for a chuck roast adn wings or doing the WMS for the chuck roast and the wings on the WSM with a vortex.

It was by Outspark. $18.99. "Outspark BBQ Whirlpool" is how it was listed.

Edit: I just checked and it looks like the Outspark version is sold out.

Last edited:

I have the real Vortex brand as well. I have about 20 cooks on it using Royal Oak lump charcoal in it for all but two of those cooks. Used Kingsford for those other two. The Vortex is holding up great. And that lump charcoal gets incredibly hot.

I also thought about buying one of the knockoffs, but like you, felt that for the few extra bucks difference, I didn't want to find out if it was just as good as the brand name Vortex.

I have the original Vortex and have used quite a bit over the last couple of years. I ordered it from Owens because they put the time into developing the shape and sizes to best fit the kettle. I didn't want to support someone who took someone elses idea and profited from it. It's hard enough to make a few bucks without having to contend with knockoffs.

Chris

Thanks for the input everyone. I actually changed direction and with with the weber char baskets for now as they were $20 vs $40 and my kettle hasn't gotten nearly enough use for me to justify another $40 item that might get used twice a year. I do hope to start using that more than the gas, especially since I spent so much doing the restoration.

I ordered the original Vortex from Amazon, It should be here tomorrow,also ordered a cast iron grill grate with a removable center for the 22 inch kettle. Can't wait to put it to the test.

Good for you goldendogs, your gonna love it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky