Vortex Drums, burnt ends and asparagus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Fired up the kettle with the vortex to do some drums. Rubbed with Oakridge BBQ Dominator chicken and pork rub for 48 hours (was supposed to be 24 hours but were invited out on Friday). Did the burnt ends the night before on the MES with an eastern BBQ sauce and went into the fridge.
Drums on the kettle with some hickory chunks
1.jpg

Kettle running nicely in the 250 range
2.jpg

moved them over the coals to crisp up the skin
3.jpg

Put the asparagus marinated in Yoshito's, garlic, SPOG, fresh rosemary, cilantro and a bit of avocado oil...onto the griddle
4.jpg

Plated up with the burnt ends and of course my favorite Caribbean hot sauce.
5.jpg

The burnt ends are really becoming our favorite smoked item along with the charro beans

Anyway onto watching the the second period of the Ranger game..as I am sure gmc2003 gmc2003 is doing as well.

Thank you
Nice color on those drums.
Thanks Sven, color and taste was awesome
All looks fantastic. Beautiful color on the chicken and I sure do love burnt ends
Thank you...really loving PB burnt ends...thinking maybe Thai peanut ends next time? This and your beans have been great hits lately. Might have to make some giant portions and freeze them for some quick sides?

Reactions: jcam222
Looks good. But how were you able to keep it at 250* with the vortex? That’s impressive
I started with just some briquets and lump and that was running above 300 but burnt down real quick. Added apple hardwood briquets with some hickory chunks and put the lower vent just below half. The 250 range was taken on the grill with a probe by the drums. The lid therm read over 400 but that is at the top and was directly over the vortex.

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Simply astonishing Cliff!! The color on that chicken is nothing short of beautiful. As much as I like the bird though, I'd be all over that asparagus. We love that stuff around here and eat it on a regular basis: grilled in Winter and fresh in salads in Summer.

Robert

Reactions: clifish
Fantastic looking chicken and burnt ends Cliff - Me likes!!!

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch any of the games, because of work but I did follow them on the internet. I'm a happy camper with the way the Rangers are playing. The future is looking bright for as they're a young team.

Point for sure
Chris

Yeah that goalie is going to be force to deal with in the future.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Stuck in the hospital since 5.30 am today waiting for the wife’s surgery to get complete.

Reactions: gmc2003
Thanks dr said it went well. All laundry And any lifting over 1lb for the next 6 weeks is on me!
There's a first time for everything Cliff LOL. I'm glad to hear all is well with your wife.

Chris

Thanks dr said it went well. All laundry And any lifting over 1lb for the next 6 weeks is on me!
Hmm...sounds suspect! Did he say breakfast in bed and control of the remote also?
Glad all went well. Wishes of quick healing her way.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky