Vortex Buffalo Wings Take 5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have tried smoking the wings "naked" and was always disappointed with the lack of crispness in the skin. So I ask you, exactly what fuel source are you using? Lump or briquettes?

I have tried varying the time of cooking as well as the amount of fuel to no avail. Perhaps it's the type of fuel I am using.

I always use Kingsford Original Briquettes .

Curious,

John

I just use royal oak briquettes full chimney once there all red hot dump it in the vortex, as you know it will peg out the tstat pretty quick. I just sprinkle a little lowrys seasoning salt on them ahead of time. Wasn’t saying there is anything wrong with yours. They look great!!!

Reactions: BandCollector
I just use royal oak briquettes full chimney once there all red hot dump it in the vortex, as you know it will peg out the tstat pretty quick. I just sprinkle a little lowrys seasoning salt on them ahead of time. Wasn’t saying there is anything wrong with yours. They look great!!!

Thanks,

I was toying with using Royal Oak. . . Will give it a try!

John

I like to do my Vortex wings and legs a few different ways. One of my favorites is coating them with @chilerelleno's chicken rub, letting them go for a half hour, and then tossing them in a bowl of teriyaki or SBR, and then back onto the grill for five minutes, crispy and delicious! Try it out, you might like it, got nothin' to lose! RAY
View attachment 464409
Ray,

These look great. . .I like the idea of slapping them on the grill for 5 minutes.

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky