Vortex—Family Favorite

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
Shout out to civilsmoker civilsmoker for gifting me this from the Christmas Exchange we had.
First time using it. Very, very well built. This is a homemade vortex!
Vortex=Wings. Thus, wings for dinner, with Mac n cheese and roasted broccoli.
Wings turned out awesome! Used a chunk of pear wood for smoke. Crunchy skin, and sooo good!! I did a few naked, some bbq sauce and some with a rub. I added wing sauce to my plate. Time for a nap!
7DA01DB6-CABC-4F83-9754-DBFED716BBB1.jpeg
165D9B10-6B73-40CB-955E-ADDA357A069B.jpeg
50CE270C-D3DA-414A-AC1E-373EB33836BB.jpeg
73B6CBAC-B37F-4762-8C64-AD3C2FDEB58D.jpeg
8D11E1EE-BB58-41D5-BC73-32B02CCF8D44.jpeg

Heck yeah bud those wings look amazing!
Thanks bud!!!
Yes sir, I could surely sit down to that plate !
Thanks! Pull up a chair!!
The vortex is a wing cooking machine.. My fryer has not been used since I got one. ! Your wings look awesome !!
Yeap! Awesome wings!
YUM YUMMMM... Damn it man... If a feller don't like that... he don't like girls ..
lol! I know it!
Good looking wings.
Thank you!

There is NOTHING like Vortex wings! Nice job!

Dave
Thanks! Yeap, family loves them!
The whole meal looks great! The wings have a great color. Looks like you have enough coals to make another batch or 3 for late night snacks?! :emoji_upside_down: 🍻
😂 I know it! Thanks for the compliment
Great looking wings Yank. :emoji_thumbsup: I love the pear wood too, unfortunately I'm out with no prospects.
Oh, and I noticed this...
View attachment 486151
😂 you got me! It is an IH plow for a cub cadet!! You don’t have a cub cadet I can buy do you? lol 😂

I have a few resources and may be able to make a similar vortex. What's the flat dimensions/layout if you don't mind sharing? Just the diameter of each side of it would be sufficient.

Awesome yankee2bbq yankee2bbq ! Glad that old scrap of SS is being put to good use! LOL, that use to be part of the old vent hood we took out of the kitchen for our remodel, so it got reincarnated into another cooking instrument! I hope you get years of happy cooking with it!

Oh and them wings look fantastic!

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I have a few resources and may be able to make a similar vortex. What's the flat dimensions/layout if you don't mind sharing? Just the diameter of each side of it would be sufficient.

GonnaSmoke, I don't remember the exact dimensions but it is a hybrid between the large and medium vortex. I also changed the angle a bit to slow down the burn and defuse the heat a bit. If I remember right its about 8.5" on the top and about 12.25" on the bottom so if you look at the vortex dims on their web page you will be able to see what changes I made.....and from the looks of it it looks like it cooks wings on point :-). The trickiest part is the curve you need to cut the steel. Since I do geometry for a living I just put a few reference points and freehanded it with the angle grinder.....

Glad that old scrap of SS is being put to good use! LOL, that use to be part of the old vent hood we took out of the kitchen for our remodel, so it got reincarnated into another cooking instrument!

Nice work on making that, looks great!

GonnaSmoke, I don't remember the exact dimensions but it is a hybrid between the large and medium vortex. I also changed the angle a bit to slow down the burn and defuse the heat a bit. If I remember right its about 8.5" on the top and about 12.25" on the bottom so if you look at the vortex dims on their web page you will be able to see what changes I made.....and from the looks of it it looks like it cooks wings on point :-). The trickiest part is the curve you need to cut the steel. Since I do geometry for a living I just put a few reference points and freehanded it with the angle grinder.....
Thanks, that's just what I needed. Any metal work like this (or wood work for that matter), I'd lay it out on a piece of construction paper first to make a template, but I'm a little OCD like that.

Nice work on making that, looks great!
Thanks Waterin! I really would like to have a spot welder at the house but just a few SS bolts that I hit with the welder to "lock" in place did the trick and will last longer than a spot weld.

Thanks, that's just what I needed. Any metal work like this (or wood work for that matter), I'd lay it out on a piece of construction paper first to make a template, but I'm a little OCD like that.

I'm usually a paper guy to but I was feeling luck at the time...after all it was Christmas time......LOL

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Wings look fantastic Justin, That Vortex will open up a whole new world of Q to you and your family

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky