Very First Offset Smoker - advice needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I just bought my very first offset smoker. Having never used one before, any advice would be appreciated.

I saw many videos where folks spray the grates and the entire interior with canola oil and run a "seasoning" fire for a few hours before their first cook. Is this a good idea and do I need to rub any oil or lubricant on the outside of the smoker prior to my first cook?

Thanks.

Peace

do I need to rub any oil or lubricant on the outside of the smoker prior to my first cook?

Myself... I have done this before and didn't care for it.. it becomes real sticky and everything (dust,dirt,leaves,insects, and so on) sticks to it... But yes I very much agree to do the inside (anywhere and everywhere) ...

I've never used one, so no advice to offer you, but just wanted to congratulate you on your new smoker! hope you enjoy and have lots of fun with it. sure that some advice and help with be coming in shortly for you.

First congratulations on your new pit. Yes spray everything inside and then fire it up.
If you choose to oil the outside your pretty much committed to it since it will be difficult to get paint to stick afterwards.
I’ve never oiled the outside of mine, it’s now just over 3 years old and still looks good.
be sure to post some pictures. We a visual group. 😁

Thank you to everyone who replied. Based on your advice, I'll definitely be spraying the interior and all of the grates. I'll pass on putting anything on the outside. My project today is now putting together the smoker and then firing up that bad boy for several hours. Tomorrow I am planning on actually doing my first cook on it. Wish me luck.

Peace.

Yes, congrats on your pit. Like the others, I do not put anything on the outside of my pits. My first seasoning fire, I did spray the inside down with cooking oil and ran it for several hours. Now after every smoke, I wipe the inside down and get out all the grease that's leftover, but that's it. As for the firebox, I never leave ashes in it as over time they will draw moisture.

I have 2 pits...an Oklahoma Joe Highland and a 52" TMG Pits Copperhead reverse flow. After cleanup, I cover my TMG with the canvas from an old pop-up tent/canopy that the wind destroyed the frame, tie it in place so the wind doesn't blow it off. But I never cover it wet. I have a factory cover for my Joe, but the same deal.

Next thought for me is wood. Most wood that I get is fresh cut or green and I allow about a year for it to season before I cook with it. That being said, I'm always planning a year ahead on my wood pile...

Edit to ask, what smoker did you get?

Last edited:
Congrats, you're about to become even more addicting to grilling/smoking lol

I never oiled up the inside of my grill, but yea I (and it's all preference) ran 3 short cooks with the chamber empty to help season up the smoker. Short, I mean like 60 to 90 minutes each over the entire day. I didn't actually use it for several days because of my schedule.

Normally the manual will let you know if and how to season it. Is it required? definitely not....but you should most definitely run it for like an hour at least once. Helps to get rid of any possible residue or plastic or anything you can't see by using the heat.

Otherwise, the real seasoning will come from your future smokes. You very rarely (if ever) will actually deep clean your smoker. That layer of grime on the walls is pure flavor :) _ like anything, feel free to browse youtube for your specific offset and you'll likely find tons of great videos with tips/tricks

Well, now I have a pretty big problem

I fired it up to season it and sprayed all interior parts with a light coating of canola oil

I placed about one pound of lump charcoal and a small chunk of wood in the firebox. I opened both vents about 35-40%. The temp hit around 350, then dropped to about 300. After 20 minutes or so the paint on the bottom and the side of the firebox is literally coming off. When I touch it, it is dust and comes right off.

Here is the kicker...my Uncle bought this for me and he just died 36 hours ago. I have no receipt and have no idea where he bought it from and there is no way to find out (obviously).

1. What can I do?
2. After it cools, can I scrape the remaining paint off and coat it with something so that it doesn't happen again?

It is Char-Broil 430 smoker.

After it cools, can I scrape the remaining paint off and coat it with something so that it doesn't happen again?
My first offset was a Char Broil. Yes the paint just came off. You can scrap, sand etc and repaint with a high temp paint. Because the metal is so thin on the Char Broil it will probably come off again on the firebox. When I had mine I did finally gave up on painting the fire box and just went with painting some use veg oil after every use.
You very rarely (if ever) will actually deep clean your smoker. That layer of grime on the walls is pure flavor
I hate to be contrary but I have always thought a clean smoker is much better. I often clean mine by getting it very hot then spraying some water in to steam clean it. Lang’s web site has a good video on this style of cleaning. About once a year I’ll also take mine to the car wash for a deep clean. Flavor comes from the smoke not the gunk that builds up.

I hate to be contrary but I have always thought a clean smoker is much better. I often clean mine by getting it very hot then spraying some water in to steam clean it. Lang’s web site has a good video on this style of cleaning. About once a year I’ll also take mine to the car wash for a deep clean. Flavor comes from the smoke not the gunk that builds up.

Oh yea I could totally see that not being a big deal. I've just talked to some guys and seen videos of people going in there with brushes/pads n whatever and I'm talking like cleaning with the attempt of making it a brand new smoker all over again.....I'm like "what are you doing?!" lol -- but steaming off some of the looser stuff and just giving a soft wipe down likely does nothing to make a huge difference in regards to the smoke flavor you'll get.

I often clean mine by getting it very hot then spraying some water in to steam clean it

Yup... this is all it needs... do this every time at start up... throw 4-6 splits in with door open for a while... close the door down some... leave a little crack in it... let those sticks "burn down to coals"... smoker will be 350ish or more... spray inside (grates and all) with a light spray from the hose and close... let it steam for a couple of minutes... clean the grates... this will bring temps back down to cooking temps.... throw a split on and start cooking ...

I appreciate everyone's relevant and useful comments. I now know what to do.

This is exactly why I joined the Smoking Meats website.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky