Vertical smokers: to reverse flow or not to reverse flow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I built a reverse flow from a 250 gal tank about 3 years ago and it cooks like a charm. Only 10-15° difference between the back by the fire box and the front. I spent a LOT of time designing and building. It's definitely a science to it, but I wouldn't do anything but reverse flow now

My only fear of this in a vertical smoker is "heat rises" so with the heat pouring out the top of the walls and with the out stack coming down the back and opens near the bottom of the food chamber does that mean the food at the top of the chamber is getting baked hotter and a lot more smoke than the product at the bottom of the chamber?
Generally yes. But you have to also consider that the FB is on the bottom and the heat source will tend to level the lower temps found at the bottom of the cooker. Once stabilized the reverse flow verticals have pretty darn good heat distribution throughout the CC.

So if box is insulated could you use 11 gauge steel for the cabinet inside and out and 1/4" plate as usual for the fire box with a top made of 1/2"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky