Vertical smokers: to reverse flow or not to reverse flow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
reverse flow vertical smokers are VERY forgiving...   Have a very uniform temperature throughout...   Kind of the Cadillac of smokers, in my opinion....

That's the vertical reverse flow I designed to build for myself..  about 4-5 years ago..   ain't built it yet..

What is the fuel source?
Pops, morning....   I'm guessing that was directed at me....   I planned on briquettes with flavor wood hunks...   Briquettes for long-lasting, non-attended smokes ....  like in an UDS...

Electric would do just fine also....   I'm leery of propane because of flame out and it's so darn expensive here...

I saw this online (not my picture) that seems to be like what you're talking about Dave, now does this also help the briquettes last longer and/or does it keep the smoke circulating longer so you need less wood hunks for smoking?

I saw this online (not my picture) that seems to be like what you're talking about Dave, now does this also help the briquettes last longer and/or does it keep the smoke circulating longer so you need less wood hunks for smoking?
Yep.. That's what I'm talking about...   The heat from the coals heats the divider plate to transfer heat to the cooking chamber...   The smoke / heat circulates through the channels to also heat the CC...  Very little heat escapes because the entire smoker needs to be insulated...   Very efficient design as far a fuel consumption...   Also expensive to build..   BUT, you get a great smoker... I would build it with 1 1/2" thick rock wool...

The exhaust channel, where the holes are, is weird... that channel should open near the bottom of the CC and eliminate the holes...  the holes impart extra friction and elevate the exhaust discharge from the CC....   It probably works OK, but there is a better solution...

Dave, this is some great info, so instead of holes you say just have an open bottom like a square or rectangle tube placed vertically in the back of the smoker? 

Yep...  the heat and smoke from the "sealed" lower chamber "FB", travels upward to the "top" of the Cook Chamber through a tube of sorts that is sealed to the FB ceiling...  released into the CC near the ceiling and travels down to the inlets of the exhaust... which travel up the inside of the CC, through the insulated roof, to atmosphere....

The primary concept is to have both sets of tubes heated to the CC temp...  inside the insulated CC body...   The heated tubes will then promote a draft... 

For best results, build an insulated CC...  add the tubes / ducts to the inside of the insulated CC...

Would you guys consider a backwoods smoker to be better than a lsg smoker since the backwoods is reverse flow?

For me the question I would ask myself if I were buying or building one is do I want the heat/smoke coming up on my meat or going down on my meat? Both designs work well if built properly the reverse flow is more demanding on having a completely sealed chamber because of the way the smoke has to travel. Pitmaker vaults are sealed so well that they use "Slam latches" on their doors. The pressure of the heat/smoke needing to escape through the exhaust is what makes them work. I have a good friend and fellow competitor that runs a Backwoods and he loves it. The cooker is rock solid and turns out great food.

My only fear of this in a vertical smoker is "heat rises" so with the heat pouring out the top of the walls and with the out stack coming down the back and opens near the bottom of the food chamber does that mean the food at the top of the chamber is getting baked hotter and a lot more smoke than the product at the bottom of the chamber?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky