Vertical Smoker Suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrMarrs

Original poster
Nov 21, 2019
I unfortunately purchased a Bradley digital smoker several years ago and it has been a pain in the ass ever since.... between the errors and the the cheap cabinet barley staying closed up and maintaining temperature... i have had it with cheap big box store smokers. That being said i know i will be spending over $1k for something worth while, and that is fine... a friend has tried to talk me into a pit boss copper series 5, which i feel like is just another cheap Bradley that will continue to disappoint me.

during my research for a decent built grill with a PID controller i came across this model, the The Pellet Pro® Vertical... i really would like to buy this model however the fact that they charge between 100 and 200 to deliver the item to my residence is a bit unnerving.

can anyone recommend another vertical PID smoker similar to this model, or even reassure me that the pit boss series 5 are a step better than the retail disposable smokers? or even another grill provider local to the Raleigh, NC area ( i already found https://www.grillbilliesbarbecue.com/ who sell the BX 25 Smoker, but i have just the opposite problem with them, they charge a 115 surcharge to pick it up locally!

Thanks
Michael

I have been kicking around the idea of a Cabinet smoker lately. I am of the idea of buying once and not regretting it. I know these are a bit above the budget but they have very good reputations and with a controller they are kind of set and forget.
I'm think the T&K gravity feed is very interesting.

Reactions: DrMarrs
are you looking or COTS? or willing to build? there are lots of instructions on converting file cabinets to smokers, you could probably get one cheap at a yard sale or something.

I just picked up a Smokin Tex 1460 that is 3 month's old for 450 off craigslist and I love it. MSRP 999.00 plus shipping. I looked on craigslist for a month before I found it but I did see quite a variety of good quality smokers for sale and some were in great shape. If your not in a hurry start watching craigslist

are you looking or COTS? or willing to build? there are lots of instructions on converting file cabinets to smokers, you could probably get one cheap at a yard sale or something.
Honestly off the shelf, im not interested in building it. and really interested in the pellet system vs propane or charcoal.

I just picked up a Smokin Tex 1460 that is 3 month's old for 450 off craigslist and I love it. MSRP 999.00 plus shipping. I looked on craigslist for a month before I found it but I did see quite a variety of good quality smokers for sale and some were in great shape. If your not in a hurry start watching craigslist
so thats my dilema, someone near me has a pit boss series 5 brand new in box for 200. i almost want to buy to use until i can make an educated decision on a professional setup.

so thats my dilema, someone near me has a pit boss series 5 brand new in box for 200. i almost want to buy to use until i can make an educated decision on a professional setup.
I have the PB #4 it is the best smoker I have for ease in use,holds temp very good.
Not one problem with the smoker the 5 is even bigger,were are you for 200 it may be worth my ride
Richie

I would buy the pit boss for $200 and see what you think of it. Worst case you hate it and can probably pop it back on craigslist and get your $200 back. Are you only interested in pellet rigs? Pellet smokers have a lot of moving parts and things that can go bad but the ease of them is appealing no doubt. Seen some great Q come off of them. Stumps makes some great vertical smokers but you will drop a pretty penny.

Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker.
I would buy the pit boss for $200 and see what you think of it. Worst case you hate it and can probably pop it back on craigslist and get your $200 back. Are you only interested in pellet rigs? Pellet smokers have a lot of moving parts and things that can go bad but the ease of them is appealing no doubt. Seen some great Q come off of them. Stumps makes some great vertical smokers but you will drop a pretty penny.
Agreed. I took your advise and bought the pit boss for 200. Driving home with it now. This way I can see if I like the pellets or not then have a nice 2k model built the way I want it next year.

Have you had a
Agreed. I took your advise and bought the pit boss for 200. Driving home with it now. This way I can see if I like the pellets or not then have a nice 2k model built the way I want it next year.
Have you had a chance to use your smoker yet? Looking forward to your review.

Just thought I would show the mods I did with my cabinet pit-boss. The water pan/drip pan sloshes like crazy when I am carrying it to the house to clean. I live in a neighborhood, so I can’t just pitch the old water/grease in the driveway... I made these baffles to reduce the sloshing when carrying things inside. So far it works awesome.

Additionally, I added a Smoke Daddy cold smoke kit. I didn’t like the low amount of smoke from the pellets. With the smoke daddy, I absolutely love this set up now. I wouldn’t trade it for anything...

Happy smokin’ yall

Attachments

• 4003D781-3525-4BEA-9D55-89033F7CB079.jpeg
    4003D781-3525-4BEA-9D55-89033F7CB079.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 51934ADB-38FA-4105-AE9D-262B3E99A43A.jpeg
    51934ADB-38FA-4105-AE9D-262B3E99A43A.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 5C872B0F-2ED3-4C64-8526-E11416BF7567.jpeg
    5C872B0F-2ED3-4C64-8526-E11416BF7567.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 132
  • AF4A71C4-9692-4906-A205-ADE41C57291E.png
    AF4A71C4-9692-4906-A205-ADE41C57291E.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 130
That's too bad they have to charge so much for shipping. That's the downside of a small company like SmokeDaddy.

Maybe you can work something out with them? I can say(since I live fairly close) that I've seen their vertical smoker in person and it is built very well and is a beast!

My suggestion is talk to Dennis or his daughter Elizabeth and see if you can work something out because I haven't seen a better built/designed vertical pellet smoker.

Too many good choices to pick just 1 without a lot of feedback

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky