Vertical cabinet to Reverse flow testing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
I have read through a number of threads about reverse flow. I really like the concept, so I have been watching for used options. I just found a vertical cabinet smoker.
5C398DC8-5082-4484-8DCD-92E3617C5F9D.jpeg

My plan is to convert it to reverse flow. However, since I see so many threads with questions about reverse versus standard, I thought I would do some before and after testing and share with the group. I know there is a lot of experience out there, so I’m looking for suggestions of what tests to run. I can run standard briquettes on everything. I have a Redi-check, so I have two probes. The basic information on my new project is: overall-51”h x 22”w x 20”d The CC is 19x18x16 and the FB is 10x18x16. The inlet is a 2” round pipe with no way to adjust. The outlet is a 3.5” square with a sliding lid. I don’t know yet if it’s insulated, but that will be easy to know once I heat it up.
0178CBFA-9DEA-4E3E-8388-4D628CAFD8A4.jpeg

6DF9C25F-3895-4E6F-808D-442DB37092D8.jpeg

I’m looking forward to hearing your ideas. I want to really learn the difference it makes to convert to reverse flow. I’m also happy to talk about the conversion, but I want to run this thing as it was built first. Thanks!

Reactions: kruizer
“I’m looking forward to hearing your ideas. I want to really learn the difference it makes to convert to reverse flow. I’m also happy to talk about the conversion, but I want to run this thing as it was built first. Thanks!”

I thought I would hear some ideas, but since I didn’t have any feedback yet, I ran an initial cook with a chimney full of briquettes. Without any inlet control, it ran a heat curve that topped out just under 350 on the top grate. Ran for about 4 hours before really dropping off. I went ahead and tried some chicken and sausage, just to get a starting point. It is insulated, nice and cool on the outside. Still hoping to hear some good before and after tests that will show if there is an advantage to a reverse flow. Thanks
8A0E59C9-78B2-4068-B19F-91C39DC1FA26.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky