Vent adjustment on WSM.

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by daniels, Jun 6, 2016.

1. All of my life I've been a little overboard when it comes to symmetry and exactness but I'm better now.  [​IMG]

Anyway, Saturday before a 10 hour smoke I decided to try something I've been pondering for a while.  I grabbed a set of center punches to use as gauges on the 3 lower grill vents of my 22.5" WSM.

I'm pretty good at eye-balling the openings when adjusting for raising/lowering the temperature on the smoker but my personality kicked in.  I'm now using these center punches to make sure all the lower vents on my smoker are opened equally.  A set of drill bits can be used to do this too but my center punches were handier.

If I'm going to adjust the vents I want to do them equally.  I think it worked out pretty well.  While the fire was going strong the 1/8" size worked out right to keep the smoker at around 225°F.  When it was declining up to the 3/8" size worked best.

Anyone else ever do anything similar?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Before my Guru, I would close 2 of the vents completely and make all the adjustments with the third.

3. Did you pick the bottom vent opposite the lid vent?

4. lemans

lemans Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I close two and have my IQ 120 attached to the other
    Top vent 1/8 inch . Temp 250 for 12 hours

5. fdannyw

fdannyw Smoke Blower

I adjust all three unless it is windy then I will only adjust the one that is on the side away from the wind

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I have 3 WSM's, one has a BBQ Guru on it.

The other two I adjust manually.

I always keep the top vent open.

I keep the temp steady with just one bottom vent, the other two are closed.

The one bottom vent that I use is the one that is on the opposite side to the the top vent.

Maybe it's because I'm in FL & the weather is mostly warm, but if I just crack open all 3 bottom vents the temp will get way too high.

I really like your idea, but I don't think it would work for me.

Al

7. damon555

damon555 Smoking Fanatic

This is how I went about it too.....before I had my Guru......2 vents completely closed and the 3rd usually open about 1/2 way. It doesn't take much to keep the coals smoldering. 

8. shoebe

shoebe Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

That is what I do as well

9. I kept the one most convenient to reach open.

10. bbqwillie

bbqwillie Smoking Fanatic

I do what Al does. Top wide open, two bottom vents closed, third vent controls temp.