Venison Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by jeffesonm, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Smoke Blower

Cleaning out the freezer and found some venison from last year so I decided to make some sausage.... mixed 4 lbs venison with 1 lb beef fat, cure and some spices... smoked over apple wood... came out pretty tasty.  q-view of course...

no pics of the grinding but I went once through the fine plate, mixed with spices/cure and stuffed into 32/35 hog casings...

[​IMG]

all linked up and hanging in the fridge overnight...

[​IMG]

made some bread while I was waiting...

[​IMG]

all finished

[​IMG]

took just under 6 hours...

[​IMG]

and here's how they look inside...

[​IMG]

made some soup and ate it with some of that bread http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/new-orleans-corn-bisque-with-smoked-sausage/Detail.aspx

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

now that sounds tasty!! what kind of stuffer is that?? I just got my grinder for christ mas and am thinking about getting one

3. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Looks and sounds great  [​IMG]

4. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Smoke Blower

That is the Gander Mountain 15 lb stainless stuffer... bought it on sale for ~$160 a year back.  It works great... very solid construction, metal gears.  The only drawback is because it's so big it leaves maybe 8-12 ounces of stuck in the bottom of the stuffer... not a huge deal when you're doing 10 or 15 lbs but not that great when you're only doing a few pounds.  Otherwise it's been great, no complaints, have used it to stuff sausage, snack sticks, and used it to pack ground venison into those plastic bags.  I did just order the Grizzly 5 lb stuffer for smaller batches.

5. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Great looking sausage.

Thanks for the pictures.

Craig

6. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now your sausage looks awesome and that corn bisque sounds like it would be really good too. Thanks.

7. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

nice looking sausage. I have the 30lb stuffer and it looses 4 lbs at the end so I bought the 5lb stuffer from northrerntool to finish up

8. old poi dog

old poi dog Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Congratulations on those great looking sausages....[​IMG]

9. down lowe

down lowe Fire Starter

How did you create the run chart?

10. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Smoke Blower

11. down lowe

down lowe Fire Starter

I was guessing Excel.  Did you capture the data points yourself?  I was thinking you may have rigged up a sweet contraption that would collect the data from the smoker and designated probes and allow you to export to Excel......how sweet would that be?