• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Venison Sausage

jeffesonm

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 3, 2008
Cleaning out the freezer and found some venison from last year so I decided to make some sausage.... mixed 4 lbs venison with 1 lb beef fat, cure and some spices... smoked over apple wood... came out pretty tasty.  q-view of course...

no pics of the grinding but I went once through the fine plate, mixed with spices/cure and stuffed into 32/35 hog casings...

all linked up and hanging in the fridge overnight...

made some bread while I was waiting...

all finished

took just under 6 hours...

and here's how they look inside...

made some soup and ate it with some of that bread http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/new-orleans-corn-bisque-with-smoked-sausage/Detail.aspx

Last edited:

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
now that sounds tasty!! what kind of stuffer is that?? I just got my grinder for christ mas and am thinking about getting one

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Looks and sounds great 

jeffesonm

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 3, 2008
That is the Gander Mountain 15 lb stainless stuffer... bought it on sale for ~$160 a year back.  It works great... very solid construction, metal gears.  The only drawback is because it's so big it leaves maybe 8-12 ounces of stuck in the bottom of the stuffer... not a huge deal when you're doing 10 or 15 lbs but not that great when you're only doing a few pounds.  Otherwise it's been great, no complaints, have used it to stuff sausage, snack sticks, and used it to pack ground venison into those plastic bags.  I did just order the Grizzly 5 lb stuffer for smaller batches.

fpnmf

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 19, 2010
Great looking sausage.

Thanks for the pictures.

Craig

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Now your sausage looks awesome and that corn bisque sounds like it would be really good too. Thanks.

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
That is the Gander Mountain 15 lb stainless stuffer... bought it on sale for ~$160 a year back.  It works great... very solid construction, metal gears.  The only drawback is because it's so big it leaves maybe 8-12 ounces of stuck in the bottom of the stuffer... not a huge deal when you're doing 10 or 15 lbs but not that great when you're only doing a few pounds.  Otherwise it's been great, no complaints, have used it to stuff sausage, snack sticks, and used it to pack ground venison into those plastic bags.  I did just order the Grizzly 5 lb stuffer for smaller batches.
nice looking sausage. I have the 30lb stuffer and it looses 4 lbs at the end so I bought the 5lb stuffer from northrerntool to finish up

down lowe

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 18, 2010
Thanks all for the kind words... still need to tweak the recipe a bit to get it just where I want but will post it once it's all set.

The graph was made in Excel... details on the smoker are here:  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/101669/first-run-using-new-smoker
I was guessing Excel.  Did you capture the data points yourself?  I was thinking you may have rigged up a sweet contraption that would collect the data from the smoker and designated probes and allow you to export to Excel......how sweet would that be?

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.