Venison Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Summer Sausage w/Q-Views

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tennsmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Clarksville, Tn
This will be my 1st batch of summer sausage with cheddar cheese added, don't know how it will turn out.

I ordered these 18" casing and they are too long for my MES30, so I'll have to smoke these in my cold smoking smokehouse, it will be much harder to control the temp.

Here's the recipe I'm using:

Backwoods SS seasoning 2 packs

Venison     6 lbs 10oz  or 62%

Pork Fat     4 lb  2oz  or38%

Spc     1 cup

Grd Celery Seed     2 TBL

Jalapeno     8 or 10

Distilled water     2 cups

Cure# 1included

Hi Temp Cheddar Cheese     2 cups $9.95 wow!!!

Jalapeno's fro my spring garden

The venison and pork fat ready to be mixed up

Ground the fat with the lg 1/4" I believe then the dreaded

2nd grind thru the 1/8" plate

Mixed the cure with water and hand mixed then added

all the dry and mixed it in

After mixing and the 2nd grind

After all the mixing & grinding I add the cheese & mixed it in,

couldn't find any exact instructions on adding the cheese, so

I "assumed" that it shouldn't go thru the grinder!

WOW!! I made it all stuffed & ready to go in the smoker 1st thing tomorrow.

Will try to hold the starting temp between 130 - 140deg.

then 150-160 and so on.

Could be a challenge
head-wall.gif

wife.gif

Later with the smoked SS tomorrow

al

Hey Rick & David,

Thanx for looking,
icon14.gif

started about 8:30am at a nominal temp 140 about 3 hrs, then upped it to a nominal 160. Right now 2pm the IT is

132 & the smoke house temp is 167.  Plan on holding that about 2 more hrs, then go up another 10 deg or so.

looking for IT of 155 to 160.

al

Looking good with the Jalapenos & cheese. I see you're in Clarksville....I was stationed at Ft. Campbell many years ago. Wonder if you could do me a fav and send me a web link to one of the surplus outfits just outside base? I've looked in the yellow pages on line and can't seem to find a link. If not, no biggie....don't waste a lot of time on it.....Willie

HEY SAUSAGE MAKERS,

here are the final Q-Views of the Venison SS smoked in the smokehouse about 8 hrs to an internal of 155,

taste very, very close to SS I have made from ground chuck.

This was a little bit hot, just enough jalapeno for taste & heat. 

Was a little afraid at 1st of the cheddar melting but it ended up firm not soft at all.

Thanx you'll for looking

al

Taste Test !! taste great..

I have been wanting to try this one, yours turned out great.  It seemed like you had no issues other than these size preventing you from using the MES. Do you have any words of wisdom that you learned from this?  Was your pork fat ratio about right?   Was the pork fat trimmings you had saved from doing butts or something else?

Hey Nozzle,

The pork fat ratio was about the same as all the other SS I have been making (beef type).

I try to keep it in the 70/30% to 60/40%  ratio. This batch turned out really good, taste was awesome,

I took about 1/2 of one of the 2 lb chubs to my local pool hall/bar about noon that I frequent and Between the

bartender (female) and three other buddies they ate it all with crackers.

I buy what's called pork trimmings which is 50/50 pork to pork fat, I think $1.19lb.  The reason it's that much is because

lots of people around here buy it just  to make their breakfast sausage!! and that's all they use.

I don't know what equipment you have but I would recommend using an MES or any elect smoker, very, very difficult to hold low temps

in the smoke house with a propane burner,  high temps are much easier I have found out.

Hope that answers your questions, probably over answered them

Al

Last edited:
Cheese and jalapeno's are a great compliment to sausages.......... I bet it tastes great.....
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky