Venison hot dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
A big shout -out /thank-you to smokenharley for his post last spring on venny hotdogs. I copied his procedure and came out with a delicious batch of dogs.I used 70% venison,20%pork and 10% pork back fat.
IMG_0580.JPG

I ground twice through a 1/8 inch plate, added the spices ( hotdog seasoning from TSM and NFDM)and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
IMG_0581.JPG

I put the mix through my Champion juicer(smokenharlys' post inspired me to buy one!)
IMG_0582.JPG

I then stuffed it into 25mm cllulose casings. I had never used these before and had a few blowouts due to overstuffing and THEN trying to tie the links off. :)
IMG_0583.JPG

Here's a picture after a half hour rest at 130* with vents open in the smoker and then a1.5 smoke with hickory at 140*
IMG_0585.JPG

I then put the links in vacseal bags and a SV bath for 1 hour at 147*,they then headed to the snowbank for a good cool down.

IMG_0587.JPG

I was surprised on how easily the casings pulled off the hot dogs leaving me some tasty dogs !
IMG_0589.JPG

I sliced into one to see the texture and had a few air pockets but overall I was very happy with my finished product.Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_0590.JPG

Nice work ! Cellulose works great for hot dogs . I use wiener sausage from TSM , is that what you used ?

Reactions: crazymoon
Holy smokes ( pun) those look great. I might need to get some seasoning. Got plenty of venison to use up with a rifle and muzzleloader deer.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky