VENISON BOTTOM ROUND

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
This is how I do my venison bottom round roasts. Most people I know just use the backstrap and tenderloin for steaks and all the rest gets cut into roasts for the crock pot or ground for burger.
Personally I feel that there is a lot more potential for a lot of the cuts off a white tail.

So I got a nice bottom round roast out to thaw. These roasts are a great cut! Nice and lean and no veins of connective tissue running through the center. I do try and clean them up nice so all the silver skin is removed. This cut also takes to a marinade very well. This time I used a bottled marinade that we like. Lawrys.
1212201946a.jpg
1212201947.jpg

I know the bottle says 15 min marinade but this goes into a bag and in the fridge over night.
1212201951.jpg

I take it out of the bag and pat it real dry with some paper towels. Notice the direction of the grain of meat. I'll be slicing against the grain for nice tender slices.
1213201856.jpg

At this point I'll season with a good amount of seasoning. Even with the overnight marinade the seasoning on the surface is needed. Venison is very lean with no fat to carry the flavor so it can definitely take a lot of seasoning.
1213201904.jpg

To go along with this beautiful piece of venison some aspearigus and some tiny roasted potatoes. Both were coated with olive oil and SPOG.
1213201922_HDR.jpg
1213201922a_HDR.jpg

Two things make this cut great. Cut against the grain and dont over cook! I took it out to the grill and pulled it off when it hit about 128° in the thickest part. Then I like to wrap in foil and let rest about 30min wile the aspearigus and potatoes roast in the oven. Here it is unwrapped and waiting to be sliced.
1213202056a.jpg

And now for some sliceing. I like to slice about 1/4 inch or a little more.
1213202057a.jpg

Is it juicy you ask???? I'll let you decide!
1213202102a.jpg

Then all plated up and ready to enjoy!!
1213202120.jpg

Sure was good! Now dont get me wrong....this is no back strap thats for sure....but.. When prepared correctly a nice cut like this that normally ends up in a crock pot can make a fantastic meal..this was tender with just a hint of tug to the meat and very flavorful!

Thanks for taking a look!

Looks delicious Travis, Like! Back when I was getting out to whack a buck I liked to marinate the little roasts in teriyaki for a few days, softened them up a bit and added a great flavor. RAY

Looks delicious Travis, Like! Back when I was getting out to whack a buck I liked to marinate the little roasts in teriyaki for a few days, softened them up a bit and added a great flavor. RAY
Thanks RAY! Next one I do I may use a teriyaki. I like those flavors!

Man Travis that looks fantastic!
It almost looks like a brisket flat.
I bet it was good!
Al
Thanks Al! It does look like a brisket flat. The grain runs almost exactly the same! And it sure was tasty!

This is how I do my venison bottom round roasts. Most people I know just use the backstrap and tenderloin for steaks and all the rest gets cut into roasts for the crock pot or ground for burger.
Personally I feel that there is a lot more potential for a lot of the cuts off a white tail.

So I got a nice bottom round roast out to thaw. These roasts are a great cut! Nice and lean and no veins of connective tissue running through the center. I do try and clean them up nice so all the silver skin is removed. This cut also takes to a marinade very well. This time I used a bottled marinade that we like. Lawrys.
View attachment 475158View attachment 475159

I know the bottle says 15 min marinade but this goes into a bag and in the fridge over night.View attachment 475160

I take it out of the bag and pat it real dry with some paper towels. Notice the direction of the grain of meat. I'll be slicing against the grain for nice tender slices.View attachment 475161

At this point I'll season with a good amount of seasoning. Even with the overnight marinade the seasoning on the surface is needed. Venison is very lean with no fat to carry the flavor so it can definitely take a lot of seasoning.View attachment 475162

To go along with this beautiful piece of venison some aspearigus and some tiny roasted potatoes. Both were coated with olive oil and SPOG.
View attachment 475163View attachment 475164

Two things make this cut great. Cut against the grain and dont over cook! I took it out to the grill and pulled it off when it hit about 128° in the thickest part. Then I like to wrap in foil and let rest about 30min wile the aspearigus and potatoes roast in the oven. Here it is unwrapped and waiting to be sliced.View attachment 475165

And now for some sliceing. I like to slice about 1/4 inch or a little more.View attachment 475166

Is it juicy you ask???? I'll let you decide!View attachment 475167

Then all plated up and ready to enjoy!!View attachment 475168

Sure was good! Now dont get me wrong....this is no back strap thats for sure....but.. When prepared correctly a nice cut like this that normally ends up in a crock pot can make a fantastic meal..this was tender with just a hint of tug to the meat and very flavorful!

Thanks for taking a look!
Couldn't agree more on your post. I do a lot with roasts and Lawry's Steak and Chop is one of my favorite bottled marinades.

Couldn't agree more on your post. I do a lot with roasts and Lawry's Steak and Chop is one of my favorite bottled marinades.
Thanks chew! Yep its a great marinade for all kinds of stuff. Great for pork tenderloins!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky