Valley Oak--good for smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kgb1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Redwood City, CA
There is large street tree down the block from my house.  It apparently is a Valley Oak.  I just realized that it has been "red tagged" by the city as being structurally unsound and is scheduled to be removed.  But the notice also says that usable wood will be left out for the public to take.  Have I just hit the jackpot?  Is this type of oak wood good for smoking?

If it's oak and it's solid, it's useable!  Break off a branch and burn it in a trash barrel and check the aroma - even tho green, should smell like wood!  Be out there and gather all you can, split and stack it and wait a couple years!  A future investment for free!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky