Vacation Ideas ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Hubby and I just got back from a wonderful week in Jamaica. He's already obsessed with our next vacation, and told me that I could choose where to go for our anniversary in July. He definitely was NOT expecting me to blurt out "TEXAS" ! Can you say BBQ Road trip!?!?

I already know we need to spend a day waiting in line at Franklin's BBQ, because DUH!
Tell me where else I need to go :)

Dine at the Salt Lick right out side Austin as long as you'll be right there for Franklins, it's world class Q. RAY

While not food related cause you sometimes need a break a trip to San Antonio is a must. Go spend some time at the Alamo and then the river walk you won't regret it. Happy Birthday and have a no-cookin good time.

Reactions: banderson7474
You're braver then me to go to Texas in July. It get a little to warm for this northerner.

I wanna hear about Jamaica!!! How was the jerk? All my friends and family say it is highly overrrated. I say they went to wrong places. I am determined to make some killer jerk. Even have the piemento wood and whole allspice.

I already know we need to spend a day waiting in line at Franklin's BBQ, because DUH!

If you're going to Franklin's you'll be 25 minutes from me. Come on by and I'll cook you up some really good Q. I also have a pool that Aaron is lacking and in July, you may find that appealing :emoji_astonished:

Louis Muellers (or something like that) in Taylor TX is an institution that goes back way before Franklin's and is known to be some of the best BBQ on the planet. Their beef ribs are to die for!! But I could do some of those ribs for you and not charge you an arm and a leg for them.

Another place that's hugely popular is Coopers in Llano. Be prepared to stand in line though, possibly a line longer than Franklin's is known for. Coopers never runs out though as far as I know.

Then there is Black's in Lockhart. They have been around a LONG time and are also known to have some of the best Q you'll ever eat.

There's a couple for you,
Robert

Last edited:
If you go to San Antonio, you have to go to Rudy's BBQ. Several years ago it was featured on Man Versus Food. The Hill Country in Fredricksburg is very scenic. If you go up north, there's a place called the Stockyards in Fort Worth with great places to eat.

If you go to San Antonio, you have to go to Rudy's BBQ.

Rudy's makes decent Q but they are more famous for their sauce. Truth is they don't smoke their own meats though. I was at a Rudy's several years ago early in the morning and there was a truck around back unloading food and the sign on the side of the truck said "Purveyors of Fine Smoked Meats". They are also a chain and cater more to the masses than the truly epic BBQ places scattered all over Texas. I do love going in there for the sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast tacos. Just love their sausage and that's saying a lot being that I make all my own sausages. Rudy's is the ONLY place I buy any, but only in the tacos.

If you're really big into sausage, there is a place in Elgin called Meyers that supposedly makes some of the best sausage in the country.

If you make it to Fredericksburg and like wine, you'll be in heaven!! Many many places out there making some world class wine. It is also home to Opa's sausage, which I have had and it's excellent.

There is also a place in Lexington that is very well known for excellent Q but I can't remember the name of it. I believe it's "Mom's" or something like that.

Robert

If you go up north, there's a place called the Stockyards in Fort Worth with great places to eat.

Now this is a fact!! Some incredible food at The Stockyards. You will have a lot to choose from and you won't leave hungry :emoji_wink: If you're into steaks, that's the place to go...or my house :emoji_laughing:

I was going to say tx smoker tx smoker tx smoker tx smoker house he can cook.

Thanks so much Richie. If she and her husband want to come, I can roll out the red carpet, put them up in some really nice accommodations, and provide a nice meal or two for them. Heck, I'd even buy another one of those 103 subprimal rib sections just for them and cook it all however they want it done.

Leaving the light on,
Robert

Rudy's makes decent Q but they are more famous for their sauce. Truth is they don't smoke their own meats though. I was at a Rudy's several years ago early in the morning and there was a truck around back unloading food and the sign on the side of the truck said "Purveyors of Fine Smoked Meats". They are also a chain and cater more to the masses than the truly epic BBQ places scattered all over Texas. I do love going in there for the sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast tacos. Just love their sausage and that's saying a lot being that I make all my own sausages. Rudy's is the ONLY place I buy any, but only in the tacos.

If you make it to Fredericksburg and like wine, you'll be in heaven!! Many many places out there making some world class wine. It is also home to Opa's sausage, which I have had and it's excellent.

Robert

Robert,
Wow - I lived in San Antonio for three years and I had no idea. The Rudy's out on Hwy 151 near SeaWorld always had dwindling wood supplies out back. I guess that's how they keep things warmed/heated? I forgot about Opa's sausage. That's some good stuff right there. I do miss the sausage/chorizo, egg and cheese breakfast tacos. Dirty Nails

Hubby and I just got back from a wonderful week in Jamaica. He's already obsessed with our next vacation, and told me that I could choose where to go for our anniversary in July. He definitely was NOT expecting me to blurt out "TEXAS" ! Can you say BBQ Road trip!?!?

I'd like to hear more about your experience in Jamaica. Mrs. Red and I are booked for our first Caribbean beach vacation in June. We're staying in an all-inclusive in Dominican Republic...but a resort in Jamaica was on our short list. Any tips or experiences that a noob should know about vacationing in the Caribbean?

And I'm with Dan...Texas in July is gonna be a hot mother! But it'll be a lot fun of too, if you can bear the heat.

Red

Last edited:
Several years ago my job had me passing through Giddings and a friend suggested stopping at the City Meat Market for BBQ. Talk about a step back in time. I believe there is a similar one in Luling by the same name. These places are basic "joints" or "dives" but the que is authentic and to me their history is very interesting as well as good que. I've always been partial to the run down dives with dark brown smoke colored walls that serve you on butcher paper and an ice cold Coke. I'm sure if I ever get the opportunity I'd like to check out Frankins. There's so many BBQ joints in Lockhart I think one would have to stay a couple of days to make an objective opinion (sounds like fun actually.) The only time I ever went through Lockhart all but Blacks was closed and we ate there (Easter Sunday) and it was good.

My guess is you won't find anything better than at Roberts house. :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky