Vac Sealing Pork Back Fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Getting ready to make some diff UMAi salumi. Cutting up the pork back fat for 1lb vac bags. The fat is hard white 1/4" thick strips that are 2-3" wide. Vac sealed and in the freezer. The fat is fresh un salted. Got this while in Texas visiting Charlie. He said he had a nice butcher shop that carries back fat, also picked up some caul fat.

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
Getting ready to make some diff UMAi salumi. Cutting up the pork back fat for 1lb vac bags. The fat is hard white 1/4" thick strips that are 2-3" wide. Vac sealed and in the freezer. The fat is fresh un salted. Got this while in Texas visiting Charlie. He said he had a nice butcher shop that carries back fat, also picked up some caul fat.

View attachment 393012

View attachment 393013
Rick, nice find. I have only been able to find the salted cured variety. Every butcher I have asked if they carry pork back fat looks at me as if I had two heads.

Looks good. Nice and white. I can't find either locally. Especially the Salted Back Fat. There is a Polish favorite of mine, Bigos with Potato Kluski that I want to make. The Dumplings get covered in chunks of Salted Back Fat that are rendered until crisp and golden brown. You also ladle the hot melted Lard over the Dumplings as well. Pisses off my Cardiologist but I only make it once a year. I tried it with Bacon but it's not the same as I've eaten for 50+ years...JJ

I usually source my fat from the trim off shoulders I use for pulled pork. I’ve heard though that it gets rancid after only a couple months in the freezer? Anyone know if that’s true? I’m terrified to have to toss a whole cook so I’ve never tested it. I mean fat gets mixed into fresh sausages all the time that I keep in the freezer for months and it tastes fine so the theory is prob false but maybe not?

I feel special....I have multiple sources where I can get fresh unsalted pork fat. All I have to do is call ahead and tell them how many pounds I would like.
Rick- let me know if you need more next time you pass through. I can reserve how ever much you need. Price is usually $0.79/lb.

I usually source my fat from the trim off shoulders I use for pulled pork. I’ve heard though that it gets rancid after only a couple months in the freezer? Anyone know if that’s true? I’m terrified to have to toss a whole cook so I’ve never tested it. I mean fat gets mixed into fresh sausages all the time that I keep in the freezer for months and it tastes fine so the theory is prob false but maybe not?
Pork fat will keep for about 4 months. Beef fat significantly less than that. I too save the raw fat caps when I do pulled pork. I use them for our big processing day after deer season is over.

I have used vac sealed pork back fat saved from pork butts that had been frozen for 6 months plus with no off taste in my Umai products.

With all the many folks from all over the world down here ya would think back fat would be avail, Not

lol I have enough fat of my own. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

So what is going to happen with this supply of fat Rick.

Warren
Got some UMAi to do soon.

Might be on hold for while. My wife has breast cancer surgery on monday. This past month has sucked. :emoji_disappointed:

Sorry to hear about that Rick, my mom went thru that twice and lived a good long time. Sending prayers and well wishes.

Chris

Thanks everyone.

my wife is pretty tough being an Air Force Vet. I know she will do great with all your prayers also.

Thanks again.

Reactions: chopsaw
Prayers. My wife just finished breast cancer treatment. Triple negative. She is in remission now. Hang in there. Your wife will do fine.

Just saw this Rick!!
Many Prayers from Macungie to you & your wife.
Hang in there Buddy!

Bear

Thanks everyone.

I know she will do good. Lots of support and prayers from my huge extended family

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky