Using Serrano peppers instead of Jalepenos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GarfieldsBBQ

Original poster
Aug 8, 2022
I was following your ABT recipes when a friend asked for something hotter. I used a whole serrano pepper, cut the top off, slit down the side and gently opened the pepper up without breaking it in half. I made two mixtures, raw chorizo and raw chorizo mixed with some soft cream cheese. After cleaning out the seeds and such I stuffed the Chorizo in some and the Chorizo Cream Cheese in the rest. Then I wrapped the entire pepper with bacon, sprinkle some chili powder and cayenne pepper on them and smoke like the ABT's. Awesome for people who like something a bit hotter than the standard ABT.
Garfield

Good morning, yes they were hotter and we liked the straight Chorizo better than mixing it with the cream cheese. There isn't as much room in the Serrano for stuffing and the cheese cut down the heat level. For those that want a milder alternative the cream cheese chorizo mix is a good thing. You still taste the serrano but the it's not as hot. Also, our chorizo was not a hot version, spicy and flavorful yes but not hot. I'm thinking of making / buying some hot sausage to try with this as well, just haven't been able to yet.

It’s kind of funny that when you smoke a hot pepper it mellows it out, so I can see using a Serrano. Note: We like hot & spicy! The only problem is they are so small that you can’t put much stuffing in them. Maybe chop them up & incorporate them in the filling & still use jalapeños for the outside.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky