Used to much cure salt #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinstuff56

Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
I believe I'm posting in the right group sorry if I am not. So I made up some venison summer sausage the other day. I used almost twice the amount that the recipe called for (recipe called for 5.6g for a 5lb batch I used 9g by accident). Cooked it yesterday when I tried a piece today it was pretty salty. So I guess my question would be, is it safe to eat or should I just pitch the rest of it in the trash?

I believe I'm posting in the right group sorry if I am not. So I made up some venison summer sausage the other day. I used almost twice the amount that the recipe called for (recipe called for 5.6g for a 5lb batch I used 9g by accident). Cooked it yesterday when I tried a piece today it was pretty salty. So I guess my question would be, is it safe to eat or should I just pitch the rest of it in the trash?

Hi there and welcome!

I don't know the unsafe range for cure#1 but as long as you are in the safe range you can soak the meat in cold water and it will leach out the salt.... it may leach out other flavors but you are trying to save it not throw it away so something just acceptable is better then trashing it.

Also if you drain too much salt from it you just chop that stuff up and heat in a pot with BBQ sauce and have a bbq "sloppy joe". Put it on bread add some shredded cheddar and make sandwiches and you will definitely enjoy the mistake :)

I've had to turn some summers sausage failures into this concoction and it was pretty damn good for what it was lol.

I don't think the extra 3.4 grams of cure made it to salty....I'd also like to see the recipe.
You're at 248 ppm. (parts per million) US standards are 156ppm.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky