use of spray oil for smoking burgers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ScottChapman

Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
Generally when I grill burgers I stray them with cooking spray to keep them from sticking, so I did that when I smoked some burgers

After smoking for over an hour, they turned out great, but thought there wasn't as much smokey flavor as I was hoping for.
I'm wondering if the cooking spray (canola oil) might have interfered with things? In general would that prevent the meat from absorbing as much of the smokey goodness??

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF!

I've been smoking burgers a lot lately and have never bothered to spray them with anything.

What type of smoker are you using? If it's a pellet smoker you're not likely to get a ton of smoke flavor as a stick burner.

The low and slow of smoking burgers will keep them from sticking.

Here's a recent photo of a couple of burgers.

20210625_171235.jpg

Hey, thanks. So it is a Lousiana Grills pellet grill, I'm using some whiskey barrel pellets, and smoking at 230. I'm going to run it for an additional hour (total of 2) and see how it goes...

Forget time when smoking.. always go by IT.

If it's commercial ground beef they need to be at 160F IT.

Slide a meat probe in from the side to the center on burgers.

Reactions: ScottChapman
Forget time when smoking.. always go by IT.

If it's commercial ground beef they need to be at 160F IT.

Slide a meat probe in from the side to the center on burgers.
Thanks, I'll try that next time around. what temp are you setting your grill at when you are smoking burgers?

Reactions: kilo charlie
When I smoke them in the smoker I usually run it about 275F.

I have a Vertical Smoker and not a pellet grill

Hey, thanks. So it is a Lousiana Grills pellet grill, I'm using some whiskey barrel pellets, and smoking at 230. I'm going to run it for an additional hour (total of 2) and see how it goes...
I use cheap but quality pellets in the hopper for heat. Been using a mix of Lumberjack, but now that I cannot get them as cheap, switching to Bear Mountain oak.
Use the pricey (and flavorful) pellets in a smoke tube.
smoking.jpg
This is a recent smoke of cured pork loin (Canadian) bacon in the pooper using straight hickory in the tube.

Spray a paper towel, then wipe the rack.
Don't waste the oil

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky