Use cast iron skillet during smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

porkbelly6350

Original poster
Aug 4, 2022
I use a cast iron skillet for smoked sloppy joes and I got tot thinking why not use it for other smokes. Think prime rib, chuck roast, etc.

Would using the skillet negatively affect the cooking process?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Anytime you use a pan of any sort you loose the ability to penetrate the meat evenly with smoke, I recommend either rotating/stirring the product you are smoking to get an even amount of smoke. As for cast iron, no issue at all.

- Jason

I am just not sure what it would add to the smoke, it is heavy to maneuver and would block some of the smoke penetration unless you follow what millerbuilds millerbuilds recommended above. Waiting for others to chime in to see if I am misinformed???

Reactions: millerbuilds
Agreed plus the clean up!
When I make a pot roast, I use a foil pan for the entire smoke and the amount of smoke absorbed hasn’t been an issue. I think I’ll test out a pork belly using CI and compare the results to prior smokes w/o CI.

Appreciate the feedback.

The only thing I would suggest is don’t use a good CI pan because it will have smoke residue on it forever. In other words this pan will be for smoking only. Don’t use one of your wife’s pans.
Al

Reactions: halleoneagain
The only thing I would suggest is don’t use a good CI pan because it will have smoke residue on it forever. In other words this pan will be for smoking only. Don’t use one of your wife’s pans.
Al
This is very true. The cast iron I use on my grill and smoker also live there. Smoke flavor is so imbedded in them now anything you cook in them picks up the flavor

This CI will be dedicated to smoker only. Again, thanks for the input. This is my first post here, but not my first smoke. I’ll post the pork belly results in this thread. In addition to the pork belly, I’m going to smoke the ingredients for a Shepard’s pie. 👍

Would using the skillet negatively affect the cooking process?
Surprisingly.... no. People have been using cast iron pots and skillets over live fire for hundreds of years. Probably not to the degree you are asking about. But let's use an example.... if you are in a bar where smoking is still allowed, that tiny amount of cigarette or cigar smoke invades your hair, your clothes, your socks, etc. The same happens with barbecued meats.

That said, many people barbecue big meats in foil pans or trays, so using a CI skillet is not out of the question.
1qzIQbq.jpg

A favorite Cajun dish I make is called 'rice and gravy', which always has a meat component. I barbecue a brisket flat, but finish in a Magnalite roaster on the pit.
Wj5DzDO.jpg
E8PKv0Q.jpg
Things like a sirloin can also benefit from a CI griddle and still pick up plenty of smokey flavor.
47MG9Vt.jpg

I have a CI skillet and pot dedicated to the smoker.

I have no idea where the skillet came from (found it in my truck one day.....) but it is warped so not good for much else.

I bought the pot to make chilI which I always have servings of in my freezer.

F0E9944E-CBAC-4B7B-99D4-D6E26B32B37C.jpeg
319FEC71-6FD2-4157-BD63-22C0209887A1.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky