• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Upgrading to Pellet Smoker

rbundy84

Joined Feb 13, 2020
Somewhat of a newbie with smoking, as I have been using a Masterbuilt Electric smoker for the past few years, and wanting to expand into something better. I dont want to break the bank (under $1,000), and have been looking at Traegers and Green Mountains. Thought I would ask in here as you all know much much more than I do regarding smokers. Any help would be appreciated. Looking for something under $1,000 which will connect to WiFi that is relatively simple to set up and use. Any help would be appreciated.

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
I'd take a look at the Weber Smokefire EX4 over Traeger or GMG. It's new and reviews are just starting to come in, but so far it looks really good.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Rec Tec! Got my bull over a year ago - love it! KILLER CS too.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Which of the Rec-Tec models is the best for a family of four with the occasional BBQ/party?
RT 700! I went from a 14" WSM to the RT 700 Bull, I fill it all the time. jerky wings ribs - you need the space.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
is there a difference between the 590 and the 700 besides just size and cost
I think they use all the same components/controllers etc. My best guess is size and thus cost. But I would go big. before using my 700 - I thought i would never fill it. I fill it all the time and then added the large shelf. it get full then making wings and jerky (stuff that is laid out all over) OR brisket and then adding a pan of beans at the end and doing a pile o ribs all at once. the extra room is dreamy!

Buy once cry once....

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
You could check but I think the bull is only 6" longer is about the only difference in size. Few hundred $ difference

rbundy84

Joined Feb 13, 2020
After doing some heavy research the last few days, I think I’m between a Camp Chef Woodwind and Rec Tec 590, but still torn between the two:

- Both seem to have amazing customer service
- I don’t really have the need for the “sear box” attachment as I have a Weber Genesis propane grill for any searing needs, so I wouldn’t get one from Camp Chef with one of these
- Both have great reviews on this website and others, however I have yet to see one negative review for Rec Tec

I am ruling out the new Weber pellet as I dont want to be a guinea pig, and as much as I love my Weber grill, the cleanup for the smoker appears to be a hassle (I can’t imagine cleaning all of the “flavorizer bars” after smoking a pork butt.

Anything I am missing?

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Ahigh heat burn off would work the same as the gas grill imo, if prices are close go with the longest warranty is what I would do.

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Coin flip. I think either would be a great unit.

nchapelheel

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 8, 2009
I have a GMG Daniel Boone and it works very well. However.....very little smoke flavor until I started
using LumberJack pellets. I found them on sale at Dick's sporting goods, ( they sell Camp Chef too)
I tried all the other pellet brands I could get within 100 miles. LumberJack works the best. I also use the pellet tube from Amazn.

rbundy84

Joined Feb 13, 2020
After doing some research, I think I am now between the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 and the Grilla Grills Silverbac, my biggest concern is the WiFi aspect of the Silverbac, and there is not a dealer around me who has the Silverbac so I am basically purchasing blind. The reviews seem outstanding and appears the owner/customer service of Grilla seem exceptional as well.

Is not having a WiFi function a deal breaker for some?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.