Upgrading to Pellet Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbundy84

Original poster
Feb 13, 2020
Somewhat of a newbie with smoking, as I have been using a Masterbuilt Electric smoker for the past few years, and wanting to expand into something better. I dont want to break the bank (under $1,000), and have been looking at Traegers and Green Mountains. Thought I would ask in here as you all know much much more than I do regarding smokers. Any help would be appreciated. Looking for something under $1,000 which will connect to WiFi that is relatively simple to set up and use. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd take a look at the Weber Smokefire EX4 over Traeger or GMG. It's new and reviews are just starting to come in, but so far it looks really good.

ive been eyeing the CampChef woodwind sg 24 with side kick (propane searing attachment).

I've got a CampChef Woodwind SG 24 with the Sear Box attachment. Gotta say I absolutely love it so far, though to the OP, it is a much dryer environment than the MES30.

To those saying Rec Tec, is there a difference between the 590 and the 700 besides just size and cost?

is there a difference between the 590 and the 700 besides just size and cost
I think they use all the same components/controllers etc. My best guess is size and thus cost. But I would go big. before using my 700 - I thought i would never fill it. I fill it all the time and then added the large shelf. it get full then making wings and jerky (stuff that is laid out all over) OR brisket and then adding a pan of beans at the end and doing a pile o ribs all at once. the extra room is dreamy!

Buy once cry once....

You could check but I think the bull is only 6" longer is about the only difference in size. Few hundred $ difference

After doing some heavy research the last few days, I think I’m between a Camp Chef Woodwind and Rec Tec 590, but still torn between the two:

- Both seem to have amazing customer service
- I don’t really have the need for the “sear box” attachment as I have a Weber Genesis propane grill for any searing needs, so I wouldn’t get one from Camp Chef with one of these
- Both have great reviews on this website and others, however I have yet to see one negative review for Rec Tec

I am ruling out the new Weber pellet as I dont want to be a guinea pig, and as much as I love my Weber grill, the cleanup for the smoker appears to be a hassle (I can’t imagine cleaning all of the “flavorizer bars” after smoking a pork butt.

Anything I am missing?

Ahigh heat burn off would work the same as the gas grill imo, if prices are close go with the longest warranty is what I would do.

I have a GMG Daniel Boone and it works very well. However.....very little smoke flavor until I started
using LumberJack pellets. I found them on sale at Dick's sporting goods, ( they sell Camp Chef too)
I tried all the other pellet brands I could get within 100 miles. LumberJack works the best. I also use the pellet tube from Amazn.

After doing some research, I think I am now between the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 and the Grilla Grills Silverbac, my biggest concern is the WiFi aspect of the Silverbac, and there is not a dealer around me who has the Silverbac so I am basically purchasing blind. The reviews seem outstanding and appears the owner/customer service of Grilla seem exceptional as well.

Is not having a WiFi function a deal breaker for some?

After doing some heavy research the last few days, I think I’m between a Camp Chef Woodwind and Rec Tec 590, but still torn between the two:

- Both seem to have amazing customer service
- I don’t really have the need for the “sear box” attachment as I have a Weber Genesis propane grill for any searing needs, so I wouldn’t get one from Camp Chef with one of these
- Both have great reviews on this website and others, however I have yet to see one negative review for Rec Tec

I am ruling out the new Weber pellet as I dont want to be a guinea pig, and as much as I love my Weber grill, the cleanup for the smoker appears to be a hassle (I can’t imagine cleaning all of the “flavorizer bars” after smoking a pork butt.

Anything I am missing?

I'm in the exact same spot as you R rbundy84 . I've been a BGE owner for 12+ years and loved every minute of it. To be honest though, I'm looking for something that requires a little less hands on attention. I've been researching hard for 2 weeks now. My closest smoker buddy has a Yoder 640 but I'm not in the 1500.00 smoker range .. he tells me rectec hands down. I've Narrowed it to the rectec 590 and the CampChef WW 24 wifi.

I've cooked on a LARGE BGE for my family of 4 for many years and tha'ts 250 sq inches of cooking space so the 590 having 590 sq inches (upgradeable to 780 with the second shelf) is PLENTY for me. Everyone always says get the 700 ... but it's just overkill for me (i originally owned an 1100 sq foot stick burner and never filled it up).

My priorities in order are WIFI, PID Controller, smoke taste and SS construction. Everything i've read has RecTec on top on all of these categories. I know some people disagree (safety issues) , but being able to fire up my grill while I'm at the ballpark and have it hot and ready for me to start cooking when I get home is a bid deal for me. I can't do that with any wifi controller except the rectec.

I thought hard about the CC WW24 WIFI , solely because of the cleanout option and the sidekick ... however i've seen too many videos about people cooking/searing using grillgrates and a griddle directly in the rectec... i just don't need it. I'll take the 4 year warranty and superior wifi controller and customer support and get the RECTEC 590.

My buddy with the yoder won't say it but he may have a bit of buyers envy seeing that he could have gotten most of the benefits with a rectec.

I'm just waiting for a price break or discount and I'll pull the trigger immediately on the 590.

JD

Rbundy - not sure why you decided to go against the Rec Tec 590. I own the Bull so just to be clear, i'm biased Rec Tec guy but always hear great things about the Stampede. For me, I wanted the little bit more space and I also liked how the Bull looks more like a grill with the hopper in the back and not like a typical pellet grill/smoker. Some people feel the opposite of that which is fine.
But of those 3 you have mentioned, go with the Rec Tec. No company touches Rec Tec's customer service. I see countless times where people just post a question on a facebook group(which Rec Tec customer services monitors) and they get a call or email about their issue without even reaching out. Rec Tec almost always goes above and beyond to help their customers.
I won't knock CampChef. I hear good things about the company and their products but they don't compare quality wise to Rec Tec. I have a friend with two Woodwinds and he wishes he has a Rec Tec. But CampChef does get the job done.

Quick note - A year ago I got the Rec Tec Bull. I've LOVED every minute with it. I came from a long time Weber Genesis gas grill and the past 3 years having a vertical propane smoke hollow smoker. My weber grates were starting to rust. I wanted a grill/smoker that could "almost" do it all. I've been so happy with my decision.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky