Upgrading from a Weber, what should I invest in next?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What should I get?

• Rec Tec Pellet Smoker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Stumps Baby

• Lang 48" Patio

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinggorilla

Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Mason, Ohio
I currently do all my smoking on a Weber Kettle 22.5in, and if I absolutely need more than what fits on the Weber I use a Char-broil Infrared.  I want to get something bigger so I can do all my smoking in one unit, so I need help and I have a poll for you experts to vote on and influence my purchase. You may also suggest something that would be better. In my poll I have pellet smoker, gravity fed (leaning this way), and a reverse flow.

what are your needs? and what is your budget? i would say your budget is pretty good with lang and stumps on the list. i have been struggling with a similar decision for a while. been looking A LOT and still have no answer. i will share what i have found and maybe it will help:

for gravity fed you can also look into superior smokers they usually have little to no wait and the stumps have taken months to get. if you want a cabinet and you want a little easier on your budget look into back woods smokers they are a water smoker but easier on the pocket and many people say they are great. not on their website but the G2 series are deep enough for a full size pan. 

on the lang i would also look into the meadow creek the MC is about $500 more in any configuration then the lang but you make that up on shipping since they are in PA and you get Stainless cooking grates. also on the MC the lower grate slides for ease of use and cleaning. 

that all being said cabinets seem to be able to hold more ribs if that is what you do and the offsets can hold a whole pig if you wanted. so there are pros and cons to each. also don't forget that if you do not have a steady flow of seasoned hardwood for the stick burner you may find yourself in a pickle!

unlike OP i have a 22.5 WSM already and i love and hate it. i hate the poor access to the lower grate. i love everything else. i almost use it as a single layer smoker for the most part. i have to use both racks this weekend but i do not care to do that all that often. 

As long as you have a place to rest the top rack, accessing the bottom rack isn't hard. I put my top rack on either my gas grill or on my 22.5" Weber kettle. That gives me plenty of access to the bottom rack. If you are cooking multiple meats, put your fastest cooking on the top rack, then after they are done pull the top rack and leave it off so you can access the bottom rack during the rest of the smoke.

I also have the WSM and like it for the footprint. It doesn't take up the whole deck. ...and the cost - it's a whole lot cheaper than the cookers you have listed. But those are nice cookers.

BTW, I put a slot in the top lip of the center section so I can pull the top rack with probes still installed and place it on two bricks on a side table while playing with the goods on the bottom rack.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky