Upgrade my Traeger to What?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jdub8881

Original poster
Feb 28, 2021
I want to upgrade my 5 year old Traeger. Can't remember what model. I have been looking at a new Traeger and the Pits and Spits Maverick. I want more room, wifi, better temp control, etc

What do you think? What should I go with?
Pros / Cons?

This is where it might be worth a re-think. Multiple upgrading usually results in costing more in the long run than going right to the top of the line. Granted everyone's financial circumstances can differ but there is a reason for the saying buy-once-cry once. JMTC :emoji_sunglasses:

Not a pellet setup but I'm looking at a Vision Icon with LP Insert. They look extremely well made. And the vent system looks super and easy to regulate according to two guys who've been using them for over a year. It's not wi-fi but I have a dual probe thermometer with a remote monitor so that suits my needs.

This is the unit I have and it works well. Good luck!

There is also a common thread with any disappointments or ‘wishes’ I’ve had with several devices of all types/descriptions ... wish I’d gone bigger!

Reactions: Jdub8881
This is where it might be worth a re-think. Multiple upgrading usually results in costing more in the long run than going right to the top of the line. Granted everyone's financial circumstances can differ but there is a reason for the saying buy-once-cry once. JMTC :emoji_sunglasses:

What would you consider is "top of the line" to jump straight to?

There is also a common thread with any disappointments or ‘wishes’ I’ve had with several devices of all types/descriptions ... wish I’d gone bigger!
I actually went the other way and I'm quite happy with the decision to do so. I regularly saw people praising the RT-700 and was focused on that for a while. I wasn't quite sold, especially given the price tag, to pull the trigger though. Once I discovered that they made basically exactly what I was looking for (slightly smaller for slightly less money) in the RT-590 with little to no concessions over it's bigger brother I was done. For me, the RT-590 was perfect and I felt was a pretty good ROI on real estate v investment. I realize my needs don't represent that of everyone but I want others to know there's lots of options so they can make the right decision for their needs. I also know that, after personal experience with other less-expensive alternatives over the years I was thoroughly impressed w/Recteq. I wasn't aware a smoker could be this much better or I would have made the move sooner as the price tag difference is 100% justified once you have one in person and are assembling it and see all the ways it's better.

Reactions: Jdub8881
Not sure I agree with this. I feel like that mid-range group offers maybe 85% (arbitrary number for discussion purposes) the exact same experience overall. It really comes down to; are you willing to pay that price tag premium for the 85% to be 98%? At a point, it becomes the law of diminishing returns on investment. Sure, if budget is no concern you can get the best of the best and not worry about it but for the rest of us we need to factor the true value of these devices and weight it against our needs and budget considerations.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my first gen Timberline 1300 and the new D2 model is even better. I was planning on buying the Pitts and Spitts but was offered an unreal deal on the 1300, so I got it instead. I haven't regretted my decision, my 1300 has done everything I have asked of it and I also like the fact that it is insulated, for cooks in the cold.

Like most purchases, the finances usually are the arbitrator. There are a number out there I would consider in the upper tier but each come with their own pluses and maybe a few minuses depending upon a specific user's priorities. This is going to be a personal process and only you can make the decision. Everyone here has their own preferences and to some extent will suggest equipment they are somewhat biased towards, which is quite natural. My original comment was to get you thinking a bit more from a higher point of view in the hope that research will get you to a good choice that fits your needs both today and also in the future. Spend some time reviewing the options and maybe the new machine will provide great service for 10 years and more!

Reactions: Steff3
No, but I've have been doing a lot of research for the last 3-4 weeks and ordered one yesterday. I sent you a Private Message.

Throwing this one out there. Yoder's YS480S and YS640S from what I've read are quite loved. They're solid pretty heavy gauge metal. 10 year warranty on cooking chamber 3 year on controller. If I couldn't spend more than $1,200 the GMG Daniel Boone or Jim Bowie prime plus grills would be my choice. I have the Davy Crockett have had 0 issues for the 1 year+ I've had it. The app for WiFi is easy to navigate and understand.

Another Recteq Bull owner and highly suggest it for the price/value/warranty.

I agree with ostrichsak above. If money is not a concern, the top top tier pellet smokers are P & S, Mak, Yoder for home use.

But if you are looking to get best bang for your buck, I highly recommend RecTeq's products. I have the Bull and a Bullseye and feel like I can cook almost anything and well.

Whatever you do, do your research and good luck!

Reactions: ostrichsak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky