Upgrade Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but only the first image on the carousel loads correctly. All the succeeding images with their links fail to appear. When the first image comes back around it loads and it repeats the sequence as before. Running Chrome on Win 10. I did try Edge and it all looks good that way, but that's not my go-to browser. I tried clearing all the browser history and such with no improvement.

I'm using windows 10 with Chrome & it works fine for me.
I guess it shows that there so many issues to consider both software and hardware wise that it's not simply changing a few lines of code and TA-DA, it works. It might even be on my end where I need a different codec or something. But I can watch the red line grow, it changes to carousel pic #2 with a white space for the image. the forward/back controls on the sides work and all, just no images except for the first one.

That is really weird.
Maybe Brian bmudd14474 bmudd14474 can give you an answer.
Al

My carousel works Great, except the Pics are Zoomed in so far you can't even tell what some of them are. Like Jeff's Beautiful Ham shows just a Nice Brown patch of some kind of Meat.
MacBook Pro--Safari--High Sierra

Bear

More of a design (layout) question. When you click on the home or forum link, why is "Browse Room chit-chat" window right below the carousel, and before the list of forums? It makes the chit-chat area more important than the forums? At least to me it seems that way. Yes, you can disable chat but it is still laid out above the forums waiting for you to enable it. I could see maybe a small link on the side or just have the small "chat" link at the very top as it currently is. Just me...........

Last edited:
I guess it shows that there so many issues to consider both software and hardware wise that it's not simply changing a few lines of code and TA-DA, it works. It might even be on my end where I need a different codec or something. But I can watch the red line grow, it changes to carousel pic #2 with a white space for the image. the forward/back controls on the sides work and all, just no images except for the first one.

For a public site facing rollout there are a ton of things to check.

You have different web browsers, different versions of each web browsers. Different operating systems (which constrain some web browser usage).
You then get into all of that all over again with mobile devices (phones and tablets).

For the user experience you must consider usability considerations, user interface considerations, color/scheme considerations, language considerations, and timezone locale considerations.

This is technically a migration so you have to consider the old version of all user experience stuff vs the new version that is coming when comparing aspects and features that are supposed to be "apples to apples".

Then there is the whole back end of things you a user never sees.
With the migration from old to knew you must make all the old data work with the new site WITHOUT losing the data or corrupting it.
Depending on the how big/serious the migration is you may be moving to all new hardware/software infrastructure which means potential architectural and system changes.

Then you throw on top all of the NEW stuff being added that has to be vetted and how it jives with the new user experience that is attempted to be provided that would now be an "apples to oranges" comparison with the old site.

Now throw in performance testing and tuning to make sure it all runs in acceptable timings (usually sub 3 second responses and many things faster than that).

Finally, you have to handle ALL of that and ensure it is accounted for so well at all levels that you can consistently make the migration happen without it missing things, changing things, or it all blowing up without having unplanned downtime/outtages that cost you dollars and end user confidence.

There are no regulations or end user finances to impact with this migration which makes it a really low impact and seriousness to the world BUT it does impact the jobs and dollars of everyone who runs the site as a business so it is very serious to them and to the community that uses it non-stop daily.

That is WAY more info than you probably care for but it may help to understand a very very very simplified version of what does/can go on with something like the current site change. I hope it sheds enough light on things that people understand that things are being handled quite gracefully with any show stopping issues. It look focus right now is on the more "serious" issues and then the desired changes that are being encountered right now :emoji_blush:

Reactions: fivetricks
I think they are doing a heck of a good job. It seems that the 3 major issues that I see are:
  • the carousel is to focused & needs to back off a bit.
  • The alerts need to be changed to white letters on a red or black background. and finally
  • If your thread is featured on the carousel it should have a tag next to it letting you and everybody else know it's up there.
Bingo! I agree with Al...

That is really weird.
Maybe Brian bmudd14474 bmudd14474 can give you an answer.
Al

We will be upgrading the carousel this week to a better one.

As for the chat placement we did that so that it is more visible. The forum is very important but we have found that more people are using it and are able to get instant answers to alot of things instead of posting a thread asking some of the same questions that have been asked in the past. Also if your new its easier than using the search feature. We did enable the disable chat button so that its just a small icon and not displaying the whole chat window.

We haven't ruled out moving it at some point but with the upgrade it seems to be helping people get answers faster.

Reactions: daveomak
Members location was under their avatar before.It is very helpful to know someones location when they have a question/problem.You can see it if you click on their avatar but it would be nice if it was right there where it used to be.....

Reactions: Winterrider
My Carousel only shows one pic when I try to arrow over it just shows the progress bar loading but no pic ???

Gary

On my Galaxy S7 I got a message that I couldn't screen shoot quick enough regarding Chrome was shut down due to an embedded script so it couldn't harm my device. This happened when the platform a couple years ago changed and the five virus scareware pop up was rampant that was embedded in an ad or something. I had to become a premier member to get rid of scareware and that expired this Spring. Everything has been fine with the ads from Spring till today but coincidentally something similar is occuring with this update/ads and something embedded in one or more that just happened today.
I'm bumping my original post since I have the screen shot of the pop up. See quote for details. This happened last overhaul with embedded scareware in ads and only on this SMF site. I had to become a premier member to eliminate threats from SMF that could damage my device. Everything has been fine from the day my premier membership expired this Spring till the day of this upgrade. Now this.:
Screenshot_20191111-182003_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: fivetricks
I remember when those ads were prevalent as well. Those will scare off activity faster than anything on a website.

It calls the legitimacy of your site into question when the user gets one of those sort of pop ups.

Also; "Report, Like, and Reply" buttons are now producing "oops, we ran into a problem" errors. This is new as of last evening.

Edit: NVM had to clear out my browser data to restore those 3 buttons. :emoji_expressionless:

Last edited:
My carousel still does not work. Shows one pic then when it changes nothing

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky