Upgrade Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm having the same problem here ,using Firefox also never had to log in before

Same problem here. I keep having to log in every time I come to the site, even though I have the "keep me logged in" icon clicked. This is annoying but not the end of the world.

Another issue I've noted is that in the previous format, if you posted a thread with a somewhat lengthy title, the screen would go to a second line if necessary so the viewer could see the full title of the thread. Now it stops at one line and the full title is not view-able to the forum member who is trying to see what is posted. Would it be possible to change the format so that the entire title of the thread can be seen, even if it goes to a second line?

Ever hopeful,
Robert

Red is not a good choice of color on a forum that is 90% men just for the fact color blindness mainly happens in men.

Still a problem with using the iPad. When you click on the forums button or smokingmeatforums.com button the screen my I pad freezes up. It seems to do this when the ads pop up. All the other buttons seem to work properly.

just noticed when I click on either of those two buttons it move to the forum button and freezes.
Having similar issues with Ipad. Sometimes I can scroll down from the carousel to the forums other times Ipad freezes up. Cleared cookies didn’t help.

It's not just you Bear.
The site is running pretty slow, using win 10 and firefox on my laptop pc.

This is the very reason I paid for a membership awhile ago . The adds made it almost impossible for me to load the forum page . Would crash my connection most days .
Look down in the bottom left corner of the page when it gets slow ,, says " waiting " for whatever it is that's trying to load .
NO , I'm not saying you need to upgrade .

Having similar issues with Ipad. Sometimes I can scroll down from the carousel to the forums other times Ipad freezes up. Cleared cookies didn’t help.

Well folks, it's not just the iPad. I am on a brand new desktop that ran flawlessly until the upgrade hit. I cleared my cookies and browsing history but almost every time I come to the forum, my computer locks up. I have to restart it to get the forum to close and exit my browser. This is getting very frustrating to say the least, and I never had that problem with the previous format.

Robert

Reactions: forktender
Robert , I've been there . I used to purposely browse other sites before connecting here . 20 / 30 minutes no trouble . Click SMF ,,, freeze , puke , re boot .
Stopped when I upgraded .

Stopped when I upgraded .

By "upgraded" I assume you mean to Premier Member? If that's what it takes to fix this problem, I'll happily spend the money for a lifetime premier membership. I spend WAY too much time to keep dealing with these issues.

Robert

I think they are still working on the site trying to make some of the changes people have asked for and other things that need tweaked so the forum may be slow at times while this is being done. Notice I said I think

Still having to log in each time I visit, even though I checked the remain logged in box at log in, I don't understand this it's never happened to me on any other forum. Not a huge deal, just curious why it's happening now all of a sudden???

By "upgraded" I assume you mean to Premier Member? If that's what it takes to fix this problem, I'll happily spend the money for a lifetime premier membership. I spend WAY too much time to keep dealing with these issues.

Robert
That is not the point though, they need to get to the bottom of these problems. If they expect to draw in new members. If the site doesn't run smoothly it is going to push away people, exactly the opposite of what a forum needs to do to continue growing it's member base and be successful at drawing in new blood.

Things like the log in issue I posted above and the red highlighted boxes and the obnoxiously over sized carousel pictures on the home page. I guess this thread is pretty much just a bitching thread, because I haven't seen many problems being addressed by forum admin. And you'd think they would want people know what issues they are working on or plan on leaving as is.

But having to buy the premier membership just to get the forum to run smoothly is a crock and not good for attracting new or keeping old members interested in the forum.

I can tell they are definitely working on fixing problems:
Friday night I checked on my "Step by Step Index", and about 15 of them weren't working.
This made me worry, because the last Platform Change screwed them all up, and I spent days fixing them. Much of that had been due to Photoshop.
So Friday night I copied the link to each of the 15 that didn't work, and I copied the note that appeared instead "The site is currently being upgraded. Please check back later."
I figured I'd check every now and then, and see if they have been fixed, before I report the problem.
Then Saturday Morning I checked and all 15 links were working & taking me to the proper Step by Step. So I can attest to the fact that somebody's working on fixing things.

So Thanks Jeff & Steph, and all involved.

Bear

I think they are doing a heck of a good job.
It seems that the 3 major issues that I see are that the carousel is to focused & needs to back off a bit. The alerts need to be changed to white letters on a red or black background. and finally If your thread is featured on the carousel it should have a tag next to it letting you and everybody else know it's up there. I featured Jeff's ham he did & I bet he doesn't even know it's up there. They seem to be working very hard to get everything back to what everybody wants, but I'm sure it will take a few days until everything is back to a new normal. I sure hope they don't do this too often!!
Al

Reactions: Bearcarver
{SNIP} I sure hope they don't do this too often!!
Al
I'm sure Jeff and hellasteph feel the same way but moreso. :emoji_grin:
I admined an android rom devs site for a few yrs and site upgrades can be (and usually are) a nightmare. The guy retired to pursue other interests and I breathed a big sigh of relief then had a couple other site owners ask if I wanted to admin their sites. You hear that pitter patter sound? Thats my feet running way. :D

I think they are doing a heck of a good job.
It seems that the 3 major issues that I see are that the carousel is to focused & needs to back off a bit. The alerts need to be changed to white letters on a red or black background. and finally If your thread is featured on the carousel it should have a tag next to it letting you and everybody else know it's up there. I featured Jeff's ham he did & I bet he doesn't even know it's up there. They seem to be working very hard to get everything back to what everybody wants, but I'm sure it will take a few days until everything is back to a new normal. I sure hope they don't do this too often!!
Al

Yep I think the folks are hard at work on things.
I have a few things to ask about but I'm going to let the staff handle all the initial stuff as I can work around anything I have run into so far :)

Keep at it folks, I have faith we will be in tip-top shape soon and thanks for your efforts :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky