update from earlier question about what to do with 60 lbs of beef shoulder...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatback

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
0d3f8c94_100_9618.jpg
d330dc0e_100_9617.jpg
9b61cb5f_100_9616.jpg
I am still looking for some advice how to treat these slabs of meat. I have three, 20 lb. vacu packed "shoulder clods". I have learned the flat iron steaks come from this section, but that is all I know. They have what appear to be a fairly thick fat cap along the entire length of one side, and very little fat on the other side. I have not cut them to see how much fat exists throughout the middle. They do not appear to have any bone, but they are still partially frozen, so I can't tell for sure. I asked two different high end butcher shops about it, and they had completley opposite opinions about smoking this meat. One said to smoke it like a brisket, and it would shred and eat beautifully. The other said smoking would dry them out and that they were more suited to slow cooking in a crock pot or that they would make excellent ground chuck. (I don't have a grinder)

My smoker is a BSKD, and I could smoke 2 at once if I cut them in half and stacked them 4 shelves high.

Suffice it to say I AM NOT breaking out the crock pot. I want smoked meat, dammit. So the real question is should I smoke it to med rare and try to slice it, or go the brisket route to 190+, and slice or shred it?

What to do?

Last edited:
X2  Also, Pops could help you better if he had pics to look at. This is a difficult question because that puppy could be reduced to several different cuts.  Pops is your man.

Good luck and good smoking.

Here's some links that will show you how to properly separate the shoulder clod:

their home site:  http://www.beefinnovationsgroup.com/

for shoulder clod:  http://www.beefinnovationsgroup.com/ValueCuts/shoulderclod/#/beefChuckShoulderClod

You can get some good steaks and roasts from them, just follow the videos, but bear in mind that these are merchandising into final finished cuts and you very well may not want to reduce them to that level; more keeping them into whole roasts, leaving some connective tissue and fat, etc.  But these will show to every level you can reduce to or also how to carve a whole piece into smaller sections once cooked.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky