up coming rib cook off.. sponsored by George Dickel Tennessee Whisky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Western Nebraska
The past few years a local bar has had a rib cook off for the Nebraska Cornhuskers opening game.  I have cooked in this contest for the past couple of years and got 6th place each year out of 30 entries.  This year there is a lil twist, since George Dickel whisky is the the sponsor, we have to use some of there whisky somehow during the cook/smoke process.  Has anybody ever used this whisky before?  

i had a few ideas 

1. coat the ribs with the whiskey and sprinkle on my dry rub

2. use it in the foil for the 2 hour cooking process

3. mix in with my bbq sauce for one of my entries

4. mix with some seasoning and inject

any and all ideas would be a great help...Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
My dad always said a little Dickel will do ya! It's a Tennessee thing.

This the Union doing this or the OT?

Either way, GD is going to have a very oaky flavor to it. Even stronger than JD so you'll want to be careful in that respect. I would look at adding some to whatever it is you coat your ribs with to get the rub to stick and then add some to your sauce as well. But be careful with that, I dont know if you boil your sauce or cook it, but I would try to cook a little out of it.

Best thing to do, is get some and try it(the booze and the ribs)!

I didn't know about this contest, so shoot me the info please!

Mike

My dad always said a little Dickel will do ya! It's a Tennessee thing.
This the Union doing this or the OT?
Either way, GD is going to have a very oaky flavor to it. Even stronger than JD so you'll want to be careful in that respect. I would look at adding some to whatever it is you coat your ribs with to get the rub to stick and then add some to your sauce as well. But be careful with that, I dont know if you boil your sauce or cook it, but I would try to cook a little out of it.
Best thing to do, is get some and try it(the booze and the ribs)!
I didn't know about this contest, so shoot me the info please!
Mike
Swanny at the Union bar.

That 's my favorite sippin whisky. Very smooth with a slightly sweet finish. A little oak but not bad. I think it would be great in a mop or spritz. I like it in me belly. And at GD they do spell it whisky.
cheers.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky