Unstuffed peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

I tried the unstuffed peppers last night and man it was bad lol. I have to admit I had worked a double the other night and was drinking so... it might have been an issue. I just threw everything in the crock pot raw and turned it loose. Ran for 8 hours as I slept off the whiskey and the double shift. It was way way overcooked imo. I also wonder should I have cooked the rice first? Maybe do 4 hours? Recipe seem to be ok.

2 lbs ground beef
2 cups uncooked minute rice
1 red onion
29 oz tomatoe sauce
2 bell peppers chopped up into 1 inch pieces
some spices

Last edited:
I would add the rice towards the end or cook separately. If cooking on low for 8hrs I would add rice around the 6hr mark. Make sure you are not using instant rice.

Reactions: negolien
Hey All,

I tried the unstuffed peppers last night and man it was bad lol. I have to admit I had worked a double the other night and was drinking so... it might have been an issue. I just threw everything in the crock pot raw and turned it loose. Ran for 8 hours as I slept off the whiskey and the double shift. It was way way overcooked imo. I also wonder should I have cooked the rice first? Maybe do 4 hours? Recipe seem to be ok.

2 lbs ground beef
2 cups uncooked minute rice
1 red onion
29 oz tomatoe sauce
2 bell peppers chopped up into 1 inch pieces
some spices
I would cook the rice separately. It's the only way to ensure it's all done evenly and properly :)

I learned to do this with my Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup and it is amazing!

yeah I think I would do the rice cooked this time and I don't think it needs but 4 hours if everything but the rice is cooked together from raw in the crock pot. I usually brown my meat but that was a 18 hour shift and about 5 drinks in lol bad decision to cook it then.

yeah I think I would do the rice cooked this time and I don't think it needs but 4 hours if everything but the rice is cooked together from raw in the crock pot. I usually brown my meat but that was a 18 hour shift and about 5 drinks in lol bad decision to cook it then.

Hahhaa, yeah likely doesn't need too long.

I was surprised that when I dialed in my Stuffed Pepper Soup that it only takes 30 minutes to make... yep 30 minutes.

The flavors are all there and good to go and just gets better each day in the fridge. Much like spaghetti sauce and chili :)

• Love
Hahhaa, yeah likely doesn't need too long.

I was surprised that when I dialed in my Stuffed Pepper Soup that it only takes 30 minutes to make... yep 30 minutes.

The flavors are all there and good to go and just gets better each day in the fridge. Much like spaghetti sauce and chili :)

Did you have a recipe for that soup?

I would add the rice towards the end or cook separately. If cooking on low for 8hrs I would add rice around the 6hr mark. Make sure you are not using instant rice.
I've used instant rice as a component in regular stuffed peppers that are baked or smoked, but for something in the crockpot, it's regular rice, and not added at the beginning. Cooking the rice separately is the best option, but I have just dumped it in the crockpot a couple hours before the rest is done, and it came out fine.

Did you have a recipe for that soup?
Ask and ye shall receive :D
I'm a soup LOVER and honestly this is probably my favorite soup of them all.
The taste is out of this world. It can be made with all frozen and canned products AND it cooks up super quick. Hard to beat.

Reactions: DougE
Ask and ye shall receive :D
I'm a soup LOVER and honestly this is probably my favorite soup of them all.
The taste is out of this world. It can be made with all frozen and canned products AND it cooks up super quick. Hard to beat.

Bookmarked for future use. I'ma be dead before I cook all the stuff I have bookmarked, though.

Bookmarked for future use. I'ma be dead before I cook all the stuff I have bookmarked, though.

What I like about this is I can go to the store and get a pack of diced 3 color bell peppered fresh from the produce area, same with onions.
Or I can go to the frozen aisle and get diced frozen onions and a bag of sliced bell pepper medely.

All I need is some ground meat and boom I'm on business because the rest is in my pantry (rice, noodles if I want, seasonings and beef bouillon).

This soup can be tossed together in in a bowl in front of me in 30-40min time! Awesome!

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky