Unsavory flavor?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robert saylor

Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
Hello all long story short. Got a new electric smoker. Used a combo of chips for smoking. Apple,Hickory, and oak. Made a nice rub more on the sweet side side than spicy.

Did a tri-tip and some chicken thighs. it was very tender and juicy however there was a very pungent flavor that was prevalent.

Any ideas what this could be from? I smoked for 3 hours at 225 if that helps.

Could you describe the pungent flavor. It may be that you just don't like smoked meat & would be better off cooking it on a gas or charcoal grill, or maybe even in the oven!
Al

Could you describe the pungent flavor. It may be that you just don't like smoked meat & would be better off cooking it on a gas or charcoal grill, or maybe even in the oven!
Al
I enjoy smoked foods very much. I have had a propane smoker and now electric. but have never run into this before. The flavor is hard to describe. i expected sweet and a little salty instead i got almost a bitter flavor.

RS, If it was an acrid taste it maybe too much smoke laid on for too long?
ok how do i fix that i only used 2 handfuls of chips. I pre heated the smoker, I let it start smoking for about 15 mins then put the meat in.

RS, Not sure how your smoker operates but you need the top vent open to release the smoke so it doesn't stay in the chamber too long ,just throwing out ideas ?

What kind is it? I can only think of you overloaded the chips.. or you never seasoned it first. If you failed to season first, every thing got permeated with manufacturing chemical residue etc.

You soaked your chips good, so I would eliminate that as a possibility.

Temperature is good, so not that.

If you has air space all around the meat, and each piece not touching anything, then that is good.

While I'm sitting here typing this, I remember one time I had my meat turn out exactly as you describe. The cause of my problem was that the inside of the smoker was "wet", and it ruined the flavor of every piece of meat I put in it!

I fixed the "problem" by cleaning out my smoker, dried it out good, then put enough wood in the firebox and let it heat up till it got HOT, and let it stay that way for about 20 minutes, then let it cool down on it's own.

I prepared everything again for smoking, got the soaked wood chips put in, let it smoke for a few minutes, then added the seasoned meat. Turned out perfect and I've never had that problem since!

I will have to say though, that if the inside of my smoker is wet when I get ready to use it, I set it on it's highest temp setting, dry it out, then it's ready to go.

Last edited:
What kind is it? I can only think of you overloaded the chips.. or you never seasoned it first. If you failed to season first, every thing got permeated with manufacturing chemical residue etc.
its an aldi but basically same as masterbuilt with a window i burned it in for 2 hours on high then chips for an hour

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky