Unorthodox Dual 55 Gallon Drum with "Side Firebox" Concept

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

helljack6

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 15, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Ok, so I've had a few ideas. I have almost all the hardware to do it now, just looking for feedback as far as build concept, fuel consumption efficiency and over all temp control efficiency. Be brutally honest as I can only do this once before the 15th of April as I'm using my smokers to do a major party cook and if this concept looks feasible, I'll convert two of my UDS smokers over the next week and attempt to do a test burn/cook.

Take a look and tell me what you think.

https://www.box.net/shared/dr68n4q1fr

I would make the top section a reverse flow. Just my 2 cent worth........

I think it will smoke the larger amounts fine, but I would be afraid that the heat loss would be much higher then with a conventional UDS.

Now if you had it insulated then I think it would go far longer then 24 hours. With the conventional UDS you have the radient heat as well as the actual fire. With the new design you are going to loose the radient heat. 

I am very courious to see how this plays out. 

Just my opinion and I could be all wrong.

Good Luck and PLS keep us posted.

Not familiar with reverse flow system, can someone point me in the direction to get a good read on it?

I would do a straight shot from your fire chamber to the smoke chamber.  The less curves the air has to make the easier the travel.

Are you going to have a way to get the ash out of the bottom?

I would make it a reverse flow and move your smoke stack to the same side as the fire chamber.

I would do a straight shot from your fire chamber to the smoke chamber.  The less curves the air has to make the easier the travel.

Are you going to have a way to get the ash out of the bottom?

I would make it a reverse flow and move your smoke stack to the same side as the fire chamber.
I agree with the straight shot and I've been extremly impressed with the reverse flow system as I put into my rig. The heat retention and recovery is an amazing difference. More work but definitly worth the effort. I'm in lincoln if ya want to stop by I can show you the reverse flow in person and maybe help ya see how it works. Message me if ya want to get together.

P.S.-- Is that Mike Mills from Waverly???

Try something like this, it looks easier than what you propose IMHO-

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/67018/double-barrel-smoker-complete-w-pics

This is the google search that found the thread on this site-

http://tinyurl.com/4v6omod

Good Luck
icon14.gif

Try something like this, it looks easier than what you propose IMHO-

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/67018/double-barrel-smoker-complete-w-pics

This is the google search that found the thread on this site-

http://tinyurl.com/4v6omod

Good Luck
icon14.gif
I saw that, and that's what i'm trying to stay away FROM. Just tossing around ideas right now, nothing's been set into motion. The reason I don't like the Big Baby set up is it's too much like a UDS, the only difference is there's even more distance between the heat source and the food, and as I've been told a few times, you might as well be cooking in an oven if you're going to use that set up. I appreciate the feedback though.

Just trying to figure out if there's a feasible way to get the best of both worlds given the current equipment.

Personally I would do something similar to a Banera's smoker, but the vertical section would be the 55 gallon drum. Firebox could either be a smaller 20 gallon barrel laid on it's side or a square firebox. Make a door in the side of the 55 gallon drum that would allow you to access the racks.

c931fa2c_main_bandera_vertical_smoker.jpg

I don't understand the concept, seems like it would be all smoke and not much heat with a 3"-6" transfer tube so I would be worried about the 40-140 rule. Now if your looking to smoke bacon or CB or BB your onto something.

I don't understand the concept, seems like it would be all smoke and not much heat with a 3"-6" transfer tube so I would be worried about the 40-140 rule. Now if your looking to smoke bacon or CB or BB your onto something.
X2

Personally I would do something similar to a Banera's smoker, but the vertical section would be the 55 gallon drum. Firebox could either be a smaller 20 gallon barrel laid on it's side or a square firebox. Make a door in the side of the 55 gallon drum that would allow you to access the racks.

c931fa2c_main_bandera_vertical_smoker.jpg
X2

Last edited:
It's an interesting concept, actually.  I'm assuming your drawing is to illustrate your concept, and not necessarily to judge the scale within itself.  I think if you keep the door low on your firebox, this setup might be good at maintaining your temperatures.  At first glance, I would be concerned with the 90-degree elbow between the firebox and cooking chamber.  Perhaps rather than an elbow, a diagonal pipe, perhaps even a boxed section, to connect the two.  You could incorporate a square damper right in the middle of the boxed section that way, allowing for very repeatable and consistent temperature adjustments. 

I would also consider a flat plate on top of the firebox for heating wood or side dishes.

Keep throwing out the ideas; it helps to inspire all of us.  ( I have a build in the works myself )

Take care.

IMHO Connection port is too small

2 barrel suggestion

just a sketch, not proportionate

sqwib is right on................. He already built one bad a$$ frankensmoker....................

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky