Un-Turkey for T-day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 30, 2018
SE Arizona
My wife and I decided to take a break from the traditional turkey for Thankgiving this year and went with a pork butt.
At first, my wife thought I was going for pulled pork. "Nope", I told her it would be sliced like a traditional roast.

I concocted a seasoned vegetable stock injection along with an herb and EVO paste rub.
Wrapped it nice and tight for an overnight rest in the fridge.
I am thinking of using fresh herbs instead of dried the next time I make this.

Unwrapped and waiting for the smoker to reach 280 degrees.
20201126_065933.jpg

Quick mid-cook shot. The smell from the mix of pecan and cherry is making me hungry.
20201126_105846.jpg

After probing tender at 178 degrees, it's ready.
20201126_160435.jpg

Let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
20201126_163446.jpg

And plated shot with sides of fried Yukon Golds and green bean almondine.
20201126_163846.jpg

All in all, this was a super simple and easy Thanksgiving meal that proved to be a nice change of pace.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Looks delicious!
I think a lot of us went with unconventional TG Day meals.
I did a Prime packer.
Al
Thank you Al. We did a small flat a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I used your tried and true method. It works everytime. Thanks for the like too.

Looks good to me! I wouldnt turn down that plate.
Jim
Thank you Jim. My wife was kind of disappointed that I didn't use "her" new CI roaster for this cook. Thanks for the like.
I'd go for a plate of that juicy sliced pork over a turkey in a heartbeat Stuart, big Like! RAY
Thanks Ray. You got the preview yesterday. I usually don't inject pork butts and opt for a finishing sauce for pulled pork. Since this turned out so juicy, I am rethinking that philosophy. Thanks for the like too.
Yep, that looks downright delicious!
Thanks John. I really surprised myself. Now, I'm thinking I really do know how to cook!
And thank you for the like.
Looks good to me! Nice to do something different every once in awhile. LIKE
Thank you! Yes, change is good. This was the first Thanksgiving in along time that it was just my wife and me. It was very relaxing too. Thanks for the like as well.
Looks great. I need to do a butt like that instead of always pulled
Thanks Cabo. It was great change from pulled. In fact, I think I might even prefer a butt cooked this way over a pork loin. Though I may need to do a loin just to be certain. Thanks for like.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky